CIC News > Latest News > Analysis > Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

Font Style

Font Size

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. These questions cover immigration programs, eligibility, processing, language requirements, investing in Canada, landing, admissibility, studying in Canada, working in Canada, and much more.

Here are this month’s questions and answers.

1. I am a temporary foreign worker since 2013. I am working as a trade department supervisor. I would like to sponsor my spouse. Could I sponsor her? If I could, how would I go about it and what documents would I need?

Sponsors wishing to sponsor a spouse or common-law partner for immigration to Canada must have Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status. If you have not obtained permanent resident status since your arrival in Canada as a temporary foreign worker, you will not be able to sponsor your spouse for the time being. However, you may have options to immigrate to Canada permanently. If or when you obtain permanent resident status, you may then be in a position to sponsor your spouse, provided you can fulfil the program’s eligibility requirements. However, because of your status as a temporary worker, your spouse may be able to obtain an open work permit and join you in Canada for the duration of your stay.

2. How can I know whether or not my summary (misdemeanor) offense makes me inadmissible to Canada?

A single summary offence does not make an individual inadmissible to Canada. However, one cannot assume that a misdemeanor is equivalent to a summary offence. As a first step, the offence must be equated to the Canadian Criminal Code and other federal Canadian statutes to determine whether the offense in question makes a person inadmissible to Canada. Even if the offence makes the individual inadmissible to Canada, one may be deemed rehabilitated or have the opportunity to submit a rehabilitation application. It is recommended that individuals in such a situation obtain advice from an attorney who is knowledgeable about criminal inadmissibility to Canada.

3. I have been working in Quebec for the past two years and am about to submit an application for a Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ) under the Programme de l’expérience québécoise/Quebec Experience Program. Am I required to submit through the new Mon projet Québec online system?

No. For the time being, Mon projet Québec is reserved for applicants under the Quebec Skilled Worker Program. Applicants to the Programme de l’expérience québécoise (PEQ) are neither required nor able to submit an application under the PEQ through Mon projet Québec. The PEQ application process remains the same as it was previously.

© 2016 CICnews All Rights Reserved



43 thoughts on “Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

  1. Bella

    Dear Sir,
    I am now in Canada with work permit. Can I still apply for express entry to get a permanent residence card? I am a nurse in my Country and have taken the IELTS. Hope you can enlighten me on this issue.I am looking forward to your reply.Thank you and God bless!

  2. djamila

    nous somme un couple sans enfants, mon mari 57 ans et moi 49 ans, nous sommes Algériens
    et nous souhaitons nous établir au canada, le pays du respect des droits de l’homme, mon mari est électricien en bâtiment, moi j ai un bac + 2 en droit des relations économique international.
    Nous aimerions savoir quelles sont nos chances,
    merci d’avance

  3. Deena

    Dear sir,
    I would like to apply for quebec programme. ..i have a doubt whether I can shift from quebec to federal after receiving the PR status. ..or I have to stay in quebec itself. $ after how many days I can go back to province.. Please give me an immediate reply…

  4. John

    My name is John and I am a U.S Citizen.
    For living I work as Medical Secretary in Hospital and Member Service Representative in a Bank.
    My wife is living in Quebec Canada with her family and we have 8 MONTHS old Son.
    Me are legally married as husband & wife under Civil Court Of Quebec
    Me have the proof as husband & Wife on Marriage Certificate.
    I want to move to Quebec for Permanent Settlement and stay with my family together.
    I have no idea how to start the process?
    Do have to apply from my side for immigration or my wife have to Sponsor for me?
    Very much confusing and I like to move to Quebec sooner.
    I have no idea which prospect takes less time and effort.
    Any detail information provided would be highly appreciated.
    looking forward to hearing from you.

    with Best Regards
    John Prate

  5. Aziz ullah syed

    Hello sir
    I’m going to complete my BBA bachelors of business accounting here in Australia I have completed my 12th in India I’m interested to move to Canada on “PR” . So can you help me to find out a best path way to Canada.
    Thanking you
    Aziz ullah syed

  6. Mitesh Shah


    I have got my Immigration visa and would be coming to Canada in May 2016. I do not have job in hand and have been immigrant under FSW program. I am currnelty working in Indian corporate organization at mid level manager position in Back office operations for BPO/KPO.
    Request to let me know how do i avail job and whats the best way to do it. Also what would be required from settlement perspective.

    Mitesh Shah

  7. farjana yesmin

    I want to apply in Manitoba.but I’ve no friend or relative in I eligible for apply? if I am,will you help me to apply?how much is your consultancy fee?

  8. Salma Mukhtar Ahmed Mustafa

    I was accepted to the express entry pool on February 2015,my question is why is Canadian experience given a high score of 70 (in the Comprehensive Ranking System)? it is an immigration program and i assume that most applicants do not have Canadian experience.

  9. majid shadad

    I meditate to obtain my request and my family to migrate to the world of humanity Canada acceptance and agreement to it the hardest thing in life is to be without a homeland and can not meet the wishes of your family members then life becomes meaningless and Thanks


    Is it allowed for an international student to transit from a three months french language course to a full-time/part-time job in Canada?

We welcome your feedback

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.