CIC News > Latest News > Analysis > Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

Font Style

Font Size

David Cohen answers a range of Canadian immigration questionsEvery month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. These questions cover immigration programs, eligibility, processing, language requirements, investing in Canada, landing, admissibility, studying in Canada, working in Canada, and much more. Here are this month’s questions and answers.

1. Hi, in regards to Express Entry. If I have two results from IELTS, from separate test dates, will IRCC consider the highest scores from one test, or will they look for the highest for each module (highest for speaking, highest for listening, highest for writing and highest for reading)?

For the purposes of economic immigration to Canada, a single language test recognized by the government of Canada may be used to prove language ability. If an individual wishes to prove a higher language proficiency — for example, in order to become eligible for a program or increase a points total — he or she may re-take a test. However, that individual may not include scores from more than one test added together. The test results are taken into consideration in their entirety, from one test date.

2. Hi David, I need your input on something. I am an Indian national and I received my ITA in the last draw. I am in the process of readying my application but have a query regarding showing proof of funds. I have applied for a loan from a bank and I will receive the money by next week. But I read in different forums that taking a loan for the same is not approved. Is it so?

Applicants must ensure that they are fulfil the eligibility requirements of the program they are applying to. Federal Skilled Worker applicants without a job offer are required to prove that they have the required settlement funds.

Settlement funds must be available to you and transferable to Canada. They must be unencumbered by debts or other obligations. You cannot borrow this money from another person or entity and then claim it as an unencumbered asset.

3. I am a Brazilian citizen and want to fly to Canada later this year for tourism purposes. I read recently that some Brazilians will no longer need a visa. Do I need a visa?

As of May 1, 2017, some eligible citizens of Brazil are no longer required to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) if they are flying to Canada. Brazilian nationals who have held a Canadian visitor visa in the past 10 years, or who currently hold a valid United States visitor visa, must instead apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) in order to enter Canada by air for a short visit, generally of up to six months, such as for a business visit or a vacation.

However, travelers who do not meet these conditions are still required to obtain a TRV in order to travel to Canada.

© 2017 CICNews All Rights Reserved



88 thoughts on “Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

  1. sudheer

    If you have valid IELTS score card, with bachelors / master’s degree and atleast one year of continuous work experience then you can apply. However, you need to chk whether you are meeting the minimum eligibility criteria of 67 points.

  2. sudheer

    Yes, you will get an ITA if your CRS is higher than the Cut-off

  3. harjot

    Respected sir,I am an Indian national. I have teaching experience of 4 and half year from 2008 to 2012.I have score of 355. So what are my chances of getting PR visa?

  4. Vikram Patel

    Hello David , I am Vikram Patel from India. I want to apply for Nova Scotia PNP program. I have total 3 years continuous experience in Pharmaceutical field as Production Chemist & Officer. Is there any chance or scope for me to get job as pharmacist in Nova Scotia? Is there any possibility to get job offer from Nova Scotia?
    Please reply to me as soon as possible..
    Vikram Patel

  5. Petr

    You should wait if you status as refugee is approved if not then you can apply for express entry.
    good luck!!

  6. Bhavik Patel

    Hi, I want to know that when mpnp next draw

  7. Gurpreet

    How to get PR after one year PG course in Canada ?

  8. Kevin

    I like to talk with the lawyer straight one and one

  9. Muhammad Waqas

    Hi Mr.David
    I can guess that you must be receiving many many emails all over the world. It is your greatness that you are replying. Please consider my case also.
    Best regds.

  10. Muhammad Waqas

    Hi Mr.David
    I am Pakistani National I love to be a part of Canadian Society, I am matric failed but I have completed internship as cook in Serena hotel Islamabad. I would like to live and make my future career in Canada please make a possible way for me.

We welcome your feedback

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.