CIC News » 2012 » December » BREAKING NEWS: Federal Skilled Worker Program Will Reopen in May 2013

Dec

2012

BREAKING NEWS: Federal Skilled Worker Program Will Reopen in May 2013

December, 2012

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has announced that the new selection system for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) will take effect on May 4th, 2013. At that time, the program will begin accepting applications for review. In addition to the long-awaited announcement, important new details about the program have been revealed, helping to paint a fuller picture of what Canadian immigration will look like in the coming year.

A Quick Background

The Skilled Worker category of the FSWP has been frozen since mid-2012 so that necessary improvements could be made to the program.

The FSWP changes, as described by CIC, are as follows:

• Minimum official language thresholds and increased points for official language proficiency, making language the most important factor in the selection process;
  • Increased emphasis on younger immigrants, who are more likely to acquire valuable Canadian experience, are better positioned to adapt to changing labour market conditions, and who will spend a greater number of years contributing to Canada’s economy;
  • Introduction of the Educational Credential Assessment (ECA), so that education points awarded reflect the foreign credential’s true value in Canada;
  • Changes to the arranged employment process, allowing employers to hire applicants quickly, if there is a demonstrated need in the Canadian labour market; and
  • Additional adaptability points for spousal language ability and Canadian work experience

These changes are part of CIC’s mission to transform Canada’s immigration system to one that is ‘faster and more flexible’. Immigration Minister Jason Kenney has stated that “the government’s number one priority remains jobs, economic growth, and long-term prosperity. The new Federal Skilled Worker Program criteria will ensure Canada is selecting the skilled immigrants our economy needs, who are the most likely to succeed in Canada.”

Important Additional Announcements

In addition to announcing that applications will be accepted starting May 4th, 2013, CIC made three important statements:

1. A list of organizations designated by the government to perform educational credential authentication and assessment will be made available in the new year;
  2. A limit will be placed on the number of skilled worker applications the FSWP will accept for review each year. The specific number for this limit has not yet been announced; and
  3. New applications to the FSWP will be processed in a matter of months, as opposed to a year or more.

“This is exciting news for applicants,” says Attorney David Cohen. “We have been looking forward to learning more details about this program, and it appears that CIC is taking steps to achieve its goal of a more streamlined, transparent system that will select the immigrants Canada needs most.”

Prospective Applicants – Moving Forward

Prospective applicants now have a time frame for preparing their applications in advance, if they so choose. According to Attorney David Cohen, early preparation may be key to ensuring that one’s application arrives before quotas are filled.

“Applicants have been patiently waiting for the FSWP to open since July 2012,” he said. “In previous years, quotas have filled quickly, leaving otherwise eligible individuals to wait another year for their chance to gain Canadian Permanent Residency. I suggest those who are serious about immigrating through the FSWP be proactive about preparing their applications so they are first in line on May 4th.”

Once they have submitted their applications, the government promises that individuals will enjoy the fastest processing times for the FSWP in recent history. Those who are successful will arrive in Canada better prepared to find employment, integrate into their communities, and settle into their new home.

To find out if you are eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, or one of over 60 Canadian immigration programs, please fill out a free online assessment today.

Dr. Precious Aibangbee December 20, 2012 at 7:46 am

Hello Cohen, could you please inform me on the new development in Family sponsorship program where a family memeber leaving in Canada can sponsor or sign for another family member to have their Canadian permanent reidency.
How long does it take and how sure is it for a qualified applicant to obtain it?
Kind regards!
Dr. Precious

SAID OLAYINKA BAMGBOSE December 20, 2012 at 8:58 am

Good day,
Thank you for the information concerning FSWP.I have the intention of forwarding my spouse and i ,educational certificates to any of the organisations assigned for authentication and assessment as soon as possible.I will appreciate if you could advice me of the name of the organisation(s) or how to get through to them.

MARZOON Y CONTRACTOR December 20, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I am Dentist from India, and am interested for going to Canada, should i go on Education base or by Federal skilled worker programme.

Prakash Samel December 20, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I am 46 years of age having a MBA degree from Indaia, My baground is sales & Marketing , My IELTS score is 6.5 will I qualify for immegration to Canada.

Clement Anthony December 21, 2012 at 6:28 am

Dear Mr. Cohen
It is very disappointing that the FSWP has been pushed to May 4th 2013. We had all prepared for Dec 2012 and just waiting for the cap to be reopend. In July 2012 you promised the date of Jan 2013 and now its May 2013 (5 months) its really a big quality time we are loosing. What is the assurance that this time it will not be pushed further to Dec 2013?

Aniruddh Sharma December 22, 2012 at 8:50 am

I want to apply under 2171 category

Question 1 : Is it already announced that 2171 will be open in 2013. If yes , the from which date I can send my application

Question 2 : Is it announced from where I can assess my credentials for filing my application

Osajele Odianosen Joel December 27, 2012 at 3:53 pm

season greeting to u mr David cohan with all due respect, i want to thank u for ur continue assistance of my traveling to canada,also thank u for informing me on time on the new change plan. hope to work with u in future.

Noman Ayoub January 4, 2013 at 7:47 am

Dear Cohen
I want to know that who is the deisgnated organization to assess our Credantials Document , please repsond and let me know so i can arrange all necessary docs

Abhinesh January 4, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Thanks for this information. What happens to the applications that were already submitted before the FSW freeze that happened in June 2012. Can applicants transfer their application. Our papers were filed in Dec 2011.

PARAMJOT SINGH January 5, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Are all occupations with any NOC code included on the list of eligible occupations for FSWP specified in the instructions identified by the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism?

Ali Rasheed January 8, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I want to know about What happens to the applications that were already submitted after june 26 2010 ? when will they make decisions on that because we are not getting any further actions on our cases ?

ketty rousseau January 18, 2013 at 11:26 am

hi,
i would like to know ,i have just sent my application this month january 2013 to quebec, do you think i should have wait till may 4th to make the application?? will my application go faster than those applyinging in may?? Are applicant in May have better advantage??

shakim January 20, 2013 at 4:04 pm

its is a really good that u guys are considering opening back this service.i must say thank you! I have my family,i am a nurse aid,i have a certificate in early childhood education. i will really like to get an opportune to work hard an support my family an serve canada.

Mukesh. B. Jadhav January 28, 2013 at 9:59 am

I have cleared IELTS just recently with overall band score of 7; Listening 6.5, reading 6.5, writing 7, and speaking 7. Please inform me do I meet official language proficiency for Canada immigration.

Thanks and Regards,

Mukes Jadhav

Sukhbir singh January 30, 2013 at 4:19 am

Hi
I applied for canada immigration in FDSW programme in the year 2006 and still that cases are not cleared what is going to be the decision,i would request u please let us know what is the canada immigration ministry decision regarding it,thank you

Sukhmandeep kaur February 2, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Are the nurses are eligible for this new fsw program for canada immigration 2013m??

Sumbeela Ali February 2, 2013 at 6:06 pm

i was applied for canada immigration in Oct 2007 and till Dec 2012 my application online status is comes IN PROCESSING but now my status not coming that is not accepting my file number and receipt number.
please tell me what happened with my application? i m worried about this.

misael m. tayag February 4, 2013 at 2:50 am

I want to know about the status of our applications dated june 7, 2007 ? when are we going to receive a reply because we are not getting any answer on our inquiry on the refund ?

Gurpreet Singh February 5, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Is the Employment offer is necassity for new federal skilled worker Programme

moses nyondo February 8, 2013 at 4:52 pm

am a 45 yr old am i still eligible?

mohsen February 9, 2013 at 1:35 pm

dear mr/mrs
I want to know what type of engineering course is important to immigration to CANADA.
BEST REGARD

dr sengottaiyan February 11, 2013 at 6:27 pm

sir,
i think it is not an absolute need at present, give more thrust to work experience in any field, not on english speaking skills and job offer.,because economy will improve speedily experienced hands.

sava peric February 14, 2013 at 12:52 am

do Physioterapists will be on new list May 4th?

Kamalpreet kaur February 23, 2013 at 8:34 am

Hi……I hv applied for PR in 2010 and my application got approval also n askd me to submit my documents within 120 days but my passport was in UK ambessy due to that I cud not send the documents but after receiving my passport I immediately reapplied but on the same day rule got changes but I cud not get any response for another application so may u have chance in new opening in May on the basis if same application or should I apply again ! Please consider my case I’ll be very thankful !

Nagarjuna March 1, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Hi Cohen,

It’s really nice to get the information well in advance. Great job. Hope to see more updates on organizations and institutes for ECA.

Regards,
Nagarjuna

francisco b. quimson, jr. March 14, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I want to know about the status of our applications dated june, 2006 ?

Farah March 30, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Will there be a chance for the opening to be postponed again ?

Cosy March 31, 2013 at 11:42 am

Great News. Thanks

Neesta Karki April 5, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Hi,i want to apply under FSW in May 4,2013. Do i need to assess credientials of my documents before May 4? Where should i send my documents for this and when?

****** April 6, 2013 at 12:03 am

Many people want to know the status of their application submitted before 2008. The worst part is that they have no clue what is going on as they dont find anything on their online status. People have already wasted their time. Logically they should get chance first. If their case are going to be denied after ten years, why dont they let them know earlier so they can apply somewhere else. Secondly, I dont think English should be that big issue for a skilled person. Many immigrants cannot speak english very well. but they can work fine.

{ 1 trackback }