CIC News » 2013 » April » Federal Skilled Worker Program: Beyond the Eligible Occupation List

Apr

2013

Federal Skilled Worker Program: Beyond the Eligible Occupation List

April, 2013

After almost a year of waiting, the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) will reopen to applicants on May 4th, 2013. In preparation for this date, the Canadian government has announced the full list of criteria for the program. These criteria include an application intake cap of 5,000 in addition to a list of 24 eligible occupations.

Under the FSWP, only applicants who have skills and experience in one of the 24 eligible occupations will be accepted for review. The 24 occupations are explained in the National Occupation Classification (NOC) system. This year, the eligible occupations include (but are not limited to) engineers, computer programmers and interactive media developers, and financial/investment analysts.

It is important for potential applicants to know that, for immigration purposes, the occupation names associated with NOC codes do not tell the whole story. In this article, CIC News goes beyond the basic titles of the 24 occupations to explain in full how an individual may meet NOC criteria for the FSWP.

Eligibility Under an NOC

One requirement for applying under FSWP is to have at least one year of full-time, continuous paid work experience in the past ten years in one of the 24 eligible occupations. The Canadian government officially considers an individual to have worked in a profession if they meet the following two points:

• Performed the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation, as set out in the occupational description of the NOC; and
  • Performed a substantial number of the main duties, including all of the essential duties, of the occupation as set out in the occupational description of the NOC.

NOCs are created with the intent to capture distinct job descriptions and duties. However, in many fields different jobs may have similar responsibilities, and significant overlap can occur.

Oftentimes, a worker may fill a number of similar, but distinct, occupational roles during the course of their professional career. Though their experience may not directly align with an eligible NOC, it may have enough overlap to nonetheless be considered eligible under that NOC. Alternately, an individual may currently work in a non-eligible profession, but have at least one year of previous experience in an eligible NOC within the past ten years. These individuals may still be eligible for application to the FSWP.

Example: NOC 2174 Computer Programmers and Interactive Media Developers

One of the 24 eligible occupations for this year’s FSWP is NOC 2174: Computer Programmers and Interactive Media Developers. At first glance, some information technology professionals may believe that they do not fall under this category. However, a closer inspection shows flexibility in the NOC.

The lead statement for this occupation is as follows:

Computer programmers write, modify, integrate and test computer code for microcomputer and mainframe software applications, data processing applications, operating systems-level software and communications software. Interactive media developers write, modify, integrate and test computer code for Internet applications, computer-based training software, computer games, film, video and other interactive media. They are employed in computer software development firms, information technology consulting firms, and in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors.

A number of information technology professionals who do not strictly identify as computer programmers may nonetheless carry out duties very similar to the above job description. Many NOCs go so far as to list closely related professions that may be considered as eligible. For NOC 2174, the following related professions are listed:

• Computer network technicians
  • Database analysts and data administrators
  • E-business managers
  • Graphic designers and illustrators
  • Information systems analysts and consultants
  • Information systems testing technicians
  • Software engineers and designers
  • Web designers and developers

Of course, all individuals applying to the FSWP must be prepared to demonstrate how and why their work experience falls under the auspices of a specific NOC.

What this Means for Applicants

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney has promised that individuals whose applications are accepted for review in the FSWP this year will benefit from fast processing times and greater preparedness once they land in Canada.

“The FSWP has been overhauled so that those who receive visas through the program are highly likely to succeed in Canada,” said Attorney David Cohen. “For this reason, I encourage all potentially eligible applicants to speak with a professional to determine their next steps.”

For applicants who do not fall under the 24 eligible occupations, or who are otherwise ineligible for the FSWP, Attorney Cohen reminds them that Canada has over 60 paths to Permanent Residency.

“Canadian immigration policy is constantly changing,” he said. “When one door closes, another door opens. That is why my law firm comprehensively reviews our client’s files for eligibility for every possible immigration option.”

Despite the wide range of open immigration programs, the FSWP remains the most popular path to Canadian immigration. However, regardless of the path applicants choose to obtain Canadian Permanent Residency, they can rest assured that they will arrive in a country that will welcome them with open arms.

To find out if you are eligible to apply to the FSWP or one of over 60 Canadian immigration programs, please fill out a free online assessment today.

Luciano de Torres May 1, 2013 at 12:39 am

Why Visual merchandiser is not included in occupation list :(

sfm May 1, 2013 at 2:47 am

Hi ,I am a Permanent resident in Canada.I landed here in last week of march.My cousin wants me to be in USA for his graduation day.He has sent an invitation to me.Will I get the US visa If i apply.I want to go to USA for 20-25 days and come back to Canada.I am still unemployed. Please reply

Imtiaz Ahmed May 1, 2013 at 3:31 am

I was waiting for a long and prepared myself to apply on 4th of May 2013 but when the 24 occupations list appeared I was very much disappointed and wondered. I am a social worker and my profession in not it list. Now what I will do?

Syed Murad Ali Shah May 1, 2013 at 4:28 am

I am an Architect I want to check whether my occupation is in the list or not?

hemlatta May 1, 2013 at 4:43 am

I am Network engg. ,in which NOC category i fall?

moammar May 1, 2013 at 5:35 am

How long will take this program ?

Priti Lakhani May 1, 2013 at 6:31 am

Hello Sir,

As per mentioned related professions listed in News of “NOC 2174 Computer Programmers and Interactive Media Developers” ‘Software engineers and designers’ can apply and as per NOC list “Software engineers and designers” includes Software Tester/Quality Analyst.

Does it mean that an individual with skill of “Software Tester/Quality Analyst” can apply for Federal Skilled worker program?

My another question if an individual who is applying, will have to give IELTS exam and will submit result once it was declared OR who is waiting for the Results, are eligible to apply ?

Priti Lakhani

Jenmer L.Labergue May 1, 2013 at 6:49 am

were i can find the list of occupations available?

Jason Makena May 1, 2013 at 7:35 am

Hallo,

Thanks for the updates i have been recieving in my email,I just wanted to know how i can qualify for Visa to Canada and whether i am eligible.Kindly assist.

Mahta May 1, 2013 at 7:43 am

Hi..I’m fresh graduated in software engineering and I have one year work experience during university time,I want to know that can I registered for this new immigration rule?

Abu Masud Tarafder May 1, 2013 at 7:44 am

Very helpful and informative message from your organization always. Regards – Julu

Leksi May 1, 2013 at 8:21 am

HI,CAN I CONTINUE FOR CANADA VISA IF I FINISHED UNIVERSITY IN MATHEMATIC FIELD.

LAKUMA REDDY May 1, 2013 at 8:50 am

Is this the final list.?
In an announcement in November it was stated that CIC would take 55300 applications under FSWP.
Is there a possibility that there could be another list comprising professionals from Natural Sciences,Pharmacy ,Oil & GAS back ground since as reports say there is huge shortfall for the professionals from these occupations

Morthimoh O. Anikwe May 1, 2013 at 9:45 am

I am interested, how do I get started?

Ramesh May 1, 2013 at 10:15 am

Who can apply for this visa? what is visa duration?

desmond May 1, 2013 at 11:23 am

Question what if I have experience in two seperate NOC occupation should I apply once or two time

moinuddin chowdhury May 1, 2013 at 11:37 am

this is good program.

Amit mahale May 1, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Hi David. I have been following your website as i am looking to get benefit from FSWP.
I am an engineer having 6+ active software QA experience and currently working Chicago, united states since last 1+ year.

I want to know exactly how your firm can help to file my application if you can or of your firm does this?

Please reply.

eddmond bosire May 1, 2013 at 2:55 pm

am a registered nurse new in Canada can i benefit from this scheme

ronak May 1, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I have done MBA (Pharmaceutical management) after B.Pharmacy. And rightnow i am working as senior production supervisor in Pharmaceutical Raw material manufacturing company. As this company and my job work is dealing with chemical processing in this can i eliegible for FSTP in 9212 Supervisors, petroleum, gas and chemical processing and utilities category ?even i have done B.Pharma and MBA Pharma????

I am waiting for your reply. as i regular reader of your website. and fro that i know about beyond the eligible category new.

mariam May 1, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Are nurse qualified for the 2013 FSW programme

James Dims Ogbu May 1, 2013 at 8:18 pm

sir,tanks very much for your explantion .can someone whose occupation is ineligible in the NOC list, migrate through arreange emploment ?e.g chef or cook

Shree May 2, 2013 at 12:28 am

I have completed MA in hospitality and now want to work in Canada but I did not find my related NOC list so, is it possible to apply through any other rules. I will be happy to receive answer from you.

Timothy Y. White May 2, 2013 at 10:05 am

The eligible occupations stream will have an overall cap of 5,000 new applications and sub-caps of 300 applications in each of the 24 occupations on the list.

abel Seth badi May 2, 2013 at 1:49 pm

i hold master in accountaing and finance will i be eligible to come to canada

Gagandeep Singh May 2, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Hi David
Is it neccessary to show IELTS during fill application or we can show it 8 months later.
please reply anyone

asif May 3, 2013 at 4:55 am

wt happened to them who applied before 2007 ….?

Amar Bahadur Gurung May 3, 2013 at 10:13 am

Dear Sir / Madam.

As per mentioned related professions listed in News of “N 21 Computer Programmers and Interactive Media Developers” ‘Software engineers and designers’ can apply and as per N list “Software engineers and designers” includes Software Tester/Quality Analyst.
My another question if an individual who is applying, will have to give and will submit result once it was declared OR who is waiting for the Results, are eligible to apply ?
Amar Gurung

Heba May 3, 2013 at 11:25 am

Are Egyptian pharmacists qualified for the 2013 FSW program

ruselie perez May 3, 2013 at 11:31 am

are caregiver qualified for this reopen program

niranjan parajuli May 3, 2013 at 5:08 pm

why aluminium fabricator is not included ??????????????

paresha May 3, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Hello,

I am a personal support worker student (International student) I have only 1 year visa, I would like to know if there is anything in favor international students. I have 6 years experience working as a Nurse Assistant in Ireland. I am originally from Mauritius. I am fluent in English and French.
I am presently studying at Conestoga College in Ontario

Isma Hossanee May 4, 2013 at 3:00 am

Hi. I work in the hospitality industry. Can i benefit from this scheme? Thanks

Naveeen Kumar May 4, 2013 at 5:57 am

Hello Sir,
I have a 2.5 years experience in Finance/Accounting domain .can i applied the FSWP.How many months can i get the Visa??

Sowmya May 4, 2013 at 8:05 am

Hi, I am a resident of India and I am interested in applying for FSW but there are some new chnages in the FSW visa and of them which I want to know more information is about ECA(Educational Credentials Assesment) I completed my graduation in the year 2005 after which the university was laid off, I have my consolidated marks sheet and also the certificate which I received from the university. After that the university is reopened in the year 2012. According to the new rule ECA I think we need to submit our transcripts as we do not have them we tried to contact our university and there is no proper response from them regarding the trancsripts.
My question is that could we submit our Consolidated mark sheet and my Original certificate that I have with me to ECA or is it a mandatory that I have to submit my transcripts from the university. Could you also suggest me what to do next if I am unable to provide transcripts

Maryam Khodadadei May 4, 2013 at 8:57 am

Dear Sir/ Madam,
Could you please let me know which point of IELTS is necessary to apply?
Thanks In Advanced,

Malundama May 4, 2013 at 12:40 pm

where i can find the list of occupations available?
my second question is, I read the message from the friend list of the NOC? ensure explain

Ann Wolf May 4, 2013 at 8:16 pm

While Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will not be accepting applications for the 24 eligible occupations until May 4, 2013, there are some new requirements that applicants can start preparing for, such as language tests and foreign educational credential assessments. The complete application process, featuring the new selection criteria, will be available on CIC’s website by May 4, 2013.

saro May 5, 2013 at 2:23 pm

my occupation is not in the new NOC list…….what is the other option to migrate in canada other than FSWP ?…plz guide me

Denisse May 6, 2013 at 3:49 am

I was waiting for the May 4th list and Dentist isn’t there… i already complete IELTS and have more than 2 years in my job…

but now looking that list my career isn’t there… what should i do!!

Nishit Kumar Biswas May 6, 2013 at 10:35 am

My application was returned 2/3 times due to CAP received.. This time I was prepared all the necessary docs well in advance, but when i’ve seen the occupation list, I just shocked.. I’m in Marketing and Merchandising profession, is there any chance to apply????

gurpreet kaur May 6, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I got 6.5 overall ielts score . Listening 7.5,reading 6.5,speaking 6.0, writing 5.5. could I apply for pr cannada.

micheal May 6, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Are physical therapist required for 2013 FSW programme

A H Shaikh May 7, 2013 at 4:30 pm

My consultant told me that CIC had published old IMM0008 forms on May 3, 2013 which he used to send my application package. He says that CIC changed the IMM0008 forms on May 6,2013.

jeremiah May 8, 2013 at 12:43 pm

why is it that nurses are not included?

Dr.Esha Sharma May 8, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Are physical therapist studied from India can apply for 2013 FSW programe

shoaib May 9, 2013 at 5:24 am

Im doing work in electronic media tv channel but occupation is not in the new NOC list what is the other option to migrate in canada?

Jewel Mays May 9, 2013 at 7:46 am

manvinder May 9, 2013 at 7:52 am

would they can apply for PR in canada if they score less than 6 band from ielts?

Amici May 9, 2013 at 3:13 pm

For applying to federal skilled worker you NEED to have at least CLB 7 level of foreign language, which can be translated to IELTS or TEF (for French) levels easily, check this link (official one): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/language-testing.asp.
Basically you need at least IELTS 6.0 at all 4 categories

Some people asked if this a final list – it is final, for next 12 month, so until maybe May of 2014.

And also – don’t forget – you need to have your education certified by independent body – that’s a NEW requirement since 4. May. That procedure can take months, so… start asap.

Hardik Patel May 9, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I have 4+ years of experience in web development. I want to job in Canada for the same. Please guide me how to get visa of Canada.

Muhammad Ferdaus Alam May 12, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I am a profession of Hospitality management.I got bachelor degree on it and i am working hotels and restaurants in Cyprus last eight years.Do i have any opportunity to get job in Canada?please explain to me how?

saju May 13, 2013 at 1:13 pm

hello sir,
I am a nurse , as per your new FSW list nurses are not eligible to apply for PR visa, is there is any other option for me to immigrate to canada. please help me

AMEERA May 13, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Hello are architects on the occupation list?

Rebeka kasa May 14, 2013 at 9:39 am

Dear sir /Madam

Are Ethiopian engineers required for 2013 FSW programmer ? i have 4 year experience in water Engineering.

Thanks.

Ayesha Sualeheen May 17, 2013 at 8:09 pm

My name is Ayesha Sualeheen, I am a registered dietitian from Pakistan, I need to know when the dietitian category for immigration under skilled worker program.

Ayesha Sualeheen May 17, 2013 at 8:12 pm

My name is Ayesha Sualeheen, I am a registered dietitian from Pakistan, I need to know when the dietitian category for immigration under skilled worker program will be open.

Vinay May 21, 2013 at 7:15 am

Vinay

syed adil May 23, 2013 at 6:14 am

Hi, i have applied for FSW on may 5 2013. Our application reached and it had all the documents upto date.but we dint receive any mail or reply.when can we expect as we have other commitments too.

shiva bahadur khamcha May 31, 2013 at 1:44 am

how can i get job in canda?

Abhishek June 17, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Question: Does software developers(iOS) qualifies short listed category list for PR ?

Hardeep Singh October 27, 2013 at 6:40 am

I am working as a Quality Analyst in an IT company
what exactly is the NOc Id wheather 2147 or 2174..
please let me me.. or is QA profile falling in any of the 24 categories