CIC News » 2011 » June » Breaking News: Changes Announced for Three Canadian Immigration Programs

Jun

2011

Breaking News: Changes Announced for Three Canadian Immigration Programs

June, 2011

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has announced changes that will be made to three of Canada’s federal immigration programs effective July 1, 2011. In order to reduce the backlog of economic applications, CIC will be adjusting the intake of applications from certain immigration categories.

Federal Skilled Worker Program

To qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, applicants must have at least one year of paid work experience in one of the 29 eligible occupations or have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer. CIC has just announced that the list of 29 eligible occupations will remain the same for the coming 12 months; however, fewer applications will be accepted for processing. As of July 1, 2011, only 500 applications will be accepted for processing per occupation and only 10,000 applications will be considered in total for the coming 12 months. Applicants who have a validated job offer from a Canadian employer will not be affected by the caps.

Attorney David Cohen encourages applicants to submit their applications as soon as possible, “These 29 open occupations will fill up very quickly. Speaking from my own experience, a number of our clients have anticipated that the same occupations would reopen and they already have their files ready for submission for July 1st. It is important that your application gets submitted quickly and that you get it right the first time. There will be no room for error as occupation caps will be filled quickly, especially in the popular occupations.”

Find out if you qualify for Canadian Permanent Residency by completing our Canadian immigration assessment form.

Federal Immigrant Investor Program

CIC has announced that as of July 1, 2011, the number of Federal Immigrant Investor applications accepted for processing will be capped at 700 for the coming 12 months. Canadian financial institutions, which act as facilitators in this program, are reporting that applicants will be required to submit government processing fees, a copy of their passport, and completed simplified forms to the Centralized Intake Office in Sydney, Nova Scotia. All other supporting documents will be required at a later stage of the processing.

To qualify for the Federal Immigrant Investor Program, applicants must have:
• Prior business experience;
• A minimum net worth of C$1,600,000 CAN; and
• Make a C$800,000 CAN secured investment.

“Given the demand for this program, especially from Chinese nationals, we expect this imposed cap limit to be reached extremely quickly… probably within a matter of days,” says Attorney David Cohen. “Applicants should keep in mind that Quebec has its own Immigrant Investor Program which could be a great option for applicants who cannot submit under the Federal Investor Program as Quebec will be increasing the number of applications accepted under its program.”

The Government of Quebec is expected to make an announcement regarding its Immigrant Investor Program early next week.

Moratorium on the Federal Immigrant Entrepreneur Program

As of July 1, 2011, CIC will not be accepting any new Federal Entrepreneur applications. CIC has not stated when the Federal Entrepreneur Program will begin accepting new applications. Applicants are encouraged to submit their application to the Quebec Entrepreneur Program or to one of the various Business Immigration Programs offered by the provinces.

Are you an investor, entrepreneur, or self-employed? Complete our Canadian immigration assessment form to out if you qualify for Canadian Permanent Residency.

admin June 29, 2011 at 7:00 am

As we cannot answer all questions on the comments, if you have specific questions, please contact us: http://www.canadavisa.com/contact-canadian-immigration-office.html

We also encourage people to complete our Canadian immigration assessment form to determine if you qualify for Canadian permanent residency: https://www.canadavisa.com/assess/canada-immigration-assessment-form.htm

Alexander June 29, 2011 at 7:55 am

Will these changes affect people who applied before June 2010 but their Occupations are no longer in the 29recognised. i.e Noc 2111, for accountants and auditors?

Ebenezer Frimpong June 29, 2011 at 8:21 am

What about we those who have already filed for Permanent Resident Visa a couple of years ago at the Canadian Embassy in Ghana. I filed on the 15 May 2007. Why are we being bypassed, whilst people who just filed are rather given visas? It simply does not jive. It should simply be on first come first serve so far as you qualify.

Tanya June 29, 2011 at 11:39 am

Do there changes affect all applications- even this submitted prior to Feb 2008?

rabah med June 29, 2011 at 11:49 am

the simpel job plaese.

Mahesh Sarpal June 29, 2011 at 11:52 am

Sir/ Madam,
I have applied in oct 2005, and my file came under 29 eligible occupations under NOC 1122, i want to know what will happen to my file will the canadian immmigration will further process my file or i have to relog a new file.
Mahesh Sarpal

Anonymous June 29, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I do like to apply for the skilled worker program.

Ahmad June 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm

That’s not fair!!!

Caleb June 29, 2011 at 1:34 pm

These measures are essential for the Canadian immigration services but to allow only 500 persons I think that’s quite selfish,but anyway it leads to less disappointments and more seriousness form applicants,I think the amendment made that one must have a job or valid job offer from a Canadian is quite harsh.Foreign migrants should be allowed to come to Canada before searching for a job or there should be an entity or government supervised business that can stand as interim’s for qualified immigrants.

Great June 29, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Canadian immigration and citizenship is a privilege — not a right.
Canada determines what’s good for itself.

DILIP N SHUKLA June 29, 2011 at 2:02 pm

what is the fate of pending applications since 2004?

parisa June 29, 2011 at 2:05 pm

as you said before in February, some changes in skilled workers scores were expected, for example in language score, and in age, and work experience, now it will be change till 1st of July or not?
tanx

Teklemariam M.Teklemariam June 29, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Dear Mr.Cohen,
Thank you so very much for your email.Since I made the 1st contact with you,I have always been kept informed by you for which I am very grateful.I very much appreciate it if you kindly let me know the 29 jobs that I could apply for.

mohi al faisal June 29, 2011 at 3:14 pm

thank you for your programme.it was very helpful.we will publish it on our website hoping that it would be helpful to others in Bangladesh.

HARISHCHANDRA PATEL June 29, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Dear Sir,

I had applied for FSW program in April 2007. What will be my file status.

I dot know, IS the CIC really interested in us?

Don June 29, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I think this is a step in the right direction. Further measures should follow as the numbers are overwhelming.

DEVENDRA RAJ ADHIKARI June 30, 2011 at 11:19 am

Dear sir,
I like this program of Federal Skilled Worker Program, i will apply accourding to this program.

Sixto V. Almarez Jr. June 30, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Dear Atty Cohen,

Thank you for your updates. In this new annoucement I would like to know where I will be qualified. I am a professional nurse for 20 years here in the Philippines. Where will I start the processing of my documents in order to have an immigrant visa.

More Power!

naresh kumar July 1, 2011 at 2:41 am

Dear Mr.Cohen,
Thank you so much for your email.Since I made the 1st contact with you,I have always been kept informed by you for which I am very grateful.

David July 1, 2011 at 4:17 am

The changes to the foreign investor program should help to cool the madness in the Vancouver real estate market. I think this is good news

humprey bogart July 1, 2011 at 6:59 am

It seems that the canadian government always modify their immigration policy every two years ,i would like to ask if they have a systematic plans regarding the pending applications filed way back year 2004 up to feb. 27, 2008(old applications).Perhaps they should seriously pay attention to those long over due applications which up to now has remained facing the wall of uncertainty.Perhaps it would be more systematic if they will imposed quota for these old applications.Lest say they will only process 1,000 FSW old applications yearly in order to reduce their backlog.I just doubt if they are seriously want to reduce their backlog at this point in time.

Hajj July 1, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Thank you to all i wait and wait until to accept me applican

tamam July 1, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Dear Mr.Cohen,

Narinder Sandhu July 3, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Mr.Cohen..Thank you very much for update…I had just applied on 2nd july under FSW.

Ferddie July 5, 2011 at 12:43 am

Atty. David Cohen:

Thank you for your updates and information. Its a great help for us.
You have a nice day.

Ferddie

Loureyliza Mortejo July 7, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I submitted under FSW and received an Immigration File Number last Feb 2006 then undergone Medical last May 2008 but due to one of my family member’s health status, he has to undergo medical treatment of which had been completed last November 2010. My CIC Consultant already sent request for release of Medical Forms twice and till now no reply from them. Why such delays? Yes are we going to face another uncertainty with this new immigration laws? Why not give priority to those old application?

conrad straw July 18, 2011 at 11:58 pm

it is one of the hardest this to find someone who will take the chance you employ from out of Canada

jeann August 12, 2011 at 4:23 am

I presume these new “changes” are from the conservative government in power in Canada.

I applaud the new rules:

To qualify for the Federal Immigrant Investor Program, applicants must have:
• Prior business experience;
• A minimum net worth of C$1,600,000 CAN; and
• Make a C$800,000 CAN secured investment.

HOWEVER, I would make the minimum net worth at C$5,000,000.00 (five million dollars)
and the secured investment at:

C$10,000,000.00

I really believe this would “weed out” anyone who is not “acceptable”

Immigration November 15, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Canadian immigration knows what is best for their country. Changes is always to be expected as nothing is permanent besides citizenship is a privilege not a right. I just couldn’t understand why there are so many migrant workers who are so disappointed with this canadian immigration modifications.