CIC News » 2013 » August » Nurses in High Demand throughout Canada

Aug

2013

Nurses in High Demand throughout Canada

August, 2013

There is currently a high demand for nurses throughout Canada. A recent immigration change has again made it possible for nurses to immigrate to Canada without a job offer. On August 1st 2013 Canada’s Province of Quebec announced important changes to its popular Quebec Skilled Worker (QSW) program, which results in a Canadian Permanent Residency Visa. Under the revised QSW program, nurses will receive even more points than previously for their education/area of training.

“If you are a nurse, now is the time to seize the opportunity and apply for immigration to Canada,” said Attorney David Cohen. “Nurses in Canada have a bright future with a welcoming job market, high salaries and of course an exceptional quality of life.”

Nursing in Quebec

Quebec is home to rapidly expanding healthcare services. This includes the construction of two large hospital complexes in Montreal, which are expected to be completed in 2015 and 2016.

The province has taken measures to ensure that it continues to grow its nurse population. The QSW program, which is the main source of economic immigration to Quebec, recently reworked its points system in a way that favours nurses. Nursing professionals may now earn 16 points towards their overall QSW point requirement, up from 12 points before. This represents the highest possible amount of points that can be awarded for any area of training/field of study.

This increase in points is significant. Quebec usually places a high emphasis on French language skills for individuals looking to immigrate. However, many nursing applicants will not necessarily need to learn French in order to receive enough points to immigrate under the QSW program, thanks to the amount of points they will receive for their professional background.

Nurses in Quebec can receive an average salary ranging between $50,000 and $60,000 a year. Due to nursing shortages throughout the province, there are many opportunities to earn even more than this. One article from April 2013 described a nurse earning an impressive $315,000 through overtime work and benefits.

Successful applicants to the QSW program receive Canadian Permanent Residency. Applicants immigrating as Quebec Skilled Workers should have a genuine intention of settling in the Province of Quebec. Once a Permanent Resident arrives in Canada, the Canadian Constitution grants all permanent residents and citizens the right and freedom to live and work in any of Canada’s provinces or territories.

Nursing in Canada

The Canadian Nurses Associations predicts that a staggering 60,000 nurses will be needed by 2022 in order to fill labour shortages. Nurses are highly sought after throughout the country, in both urban and rural areas.

Registered nurses may work in a wide range of capacities, all of which are needed in Canada. These include:

• Nurse practitioners
  • Nurse researchers
  • Specialized nurses (burn patient, dialysis, cardiology, nephrology)
  • Nurse instructors
  • Psychiatric nurses
  • Nurse technicians
  • And more

According to the government, nurses make on average $51,000/year. However, according to the Ontario Nurse’s Association, a career nurse in the province can make over $80,000. Nurses who go on to management positions in their field may top even this, with payscale.com showing clinical nursing manager salaries in Canada at over $105,000.

“Nurses are critical to ensuring the health of Canada’s population,” said Attorney Cohen. “There is no question that for their work, Canadians are willing to pay top dollar.”

In addition to the QSW, nurses may be eligible for immigration through a number of Provincial Nomination Programs. If you are a nurse and interested in immigrating to Canada, please fill out a free online assessment today to learn about your options.

shellian Dixon August 15, 2013 at 12:43 pm

How does one go about applying for the nurses vacancies in Canada?

Frederick Mendoza Ibarra August 15, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Thank you very much.

Livia August 16, 2013 at 6:47 am

Good news for all nurses…

Nicasio B. Palara jr. August 18, 2013 at 2:45 pm

interesting article to read…

Olanrewaju Azeez Oladunjoye August 19, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Kudos for review and favourable consideration on the side of Nursing Profession, however; allow me to remind you of considering Anaesthetic Technicians as well. Many people in this practise want to work with Canadian Government by contributing their individual quota via teaming-up with other medical personnel in delivering safe medical treatment.

Triz August 20, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Thanks a lot for the detailed information . I was badly worried that if I do QSW program and getting PR, whether I can work in other provinces, as I am not a proficient in use of French.
I would like to know whether I have to stay in Quebec for a while and within how many months I can move to other province? What is the formalities and procedure for it?

Lourlyn Santos Obando August 20, 2013 at 9:38 pm

good news for all nurses.. godbless

Servillena V. Sarmiento August 21, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I had just read this article today. I just want to inquire if nurses more than 50 has a chance to apply.

Pamela Vinalon August 22, 2013 at 9:44 am

thank you for the details and info about nurses in Canada.Godspeed!

Joana Camille L. Cruz August 26, 2013 at 11:39 am

Good day!

This is a good news for us, nurses, here in the Philippines. Although I have some concerns regarding the requirements in order for me to be qualified to work there. First, DO I have to have work experience as a staff nurse in order for me to work there? Second, Is there any payment to make or would it be shouldered by an employer? Lastly, I would like to ask how long would the processing be if I apply? That’s all, thanks!

evangeline s.layug August 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Tadese Kazeem August 30, 2013 at 10:30 am

Dear Sir,

Thanks for this enlightenment and opportunity for Nurses. I would like to know if there is opportunity for professional in Community Health Extension Workers (CHEW) in any provinces in Canada?

I will appreciate receiving your response as I have a professional CHEW as a spouse.

Best Regards.

Tadese Kzeem

Mahmoud August 30, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Hello .
All which you need nurses what about a other special like me I am working in this sector but in radio depatrment my job is x-ray technician .
Can I to find a work in this sector .

Daniel JUPITER August 30, 2013 at 3:06 pm

That is a good news for nurses in all over the world to work and leave in a great country like Canada that i visited allready, Nurses don’t let be lost your time and take your chance rapidly to make more experiences.

Guillermina Lasala August 31, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Thank you so much for the information! Iwould like to have an experience abroad!

Anthonia Enihe August 31, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Thank you for this information,what a great opportunity for nurses to work in canada and develop their career.
A lots of thanks to canadian government

Pumla Mdingi September 5, 2013 at 5:57 am

Thank you for this opportunity ,i am looking forward to be one of good nurses immigrating to Canada and to develop my career.

Ace Lopez September 14, 2013 at 7:00 am

Thank you so much, I hope I can work and live there together with my wife and son.

nishka brown September 20, 2013 at 7:21 pm

your information has been so helpful and i must say thank you so very much

benjonbuag September 22, 2013 at 2:12 pm

thanyou so much for information hopfully ican work and live in canada someday..

Build powerful towers at tower defense games

Abigail September 27, 2013 at 10:47 pm

nasreen October 9, 2013 at 4:34 pm

This is really good news for nurses
plez help me for canadian immigration as soon as possible.

Salako Pauline Folashade October 18, 2013 at 7:19 am

This is good news for nurses, but my question is how long Will the processing take & Will the expenses be shouldered by the applicant ?

Evan Majal P. Castro October 24, 2013 at 7:22 am

I am a Registered Nurse in the Philippines. I wish to apply as Nurse in Canada, could you assist me how and where to apply in Canada.

sheila pineda October 25, 2013 at 2:53 am

Hi im a nursing graduate but unfortunately did not pass the philippine board exam and presently im working as a caregiver in kuwait. Im very interested to work as a nurse in canada, is there a posibility that i can apply as a nurse or as assistan nurse and what are the requirements. Thank you.

judith garwe October 27, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Hi im a qulified nurse/midwife and just completed my ultrasound post grad certificate
im interested in migrating to canada from the uk where i have been living for 13 yrs
can you help me please

judith garwe

Maricel G. Paras October 30, 2013 at 2:57 am

Its nice to hear that. Theyl giving a chance to apply as a nurse or 2 D Echo tech there and be one of the immigrants in canada. Thanks for the good news..

Michael Christian November 18, 2013 at 9:38 am

I read article of immigration nurses to Canada its chance for me to apply

MYLENE P. OCAMPO November 18, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Thank you so much for the information, hope to hear from you again.

JONATHAN M. OCAMPO November 18, 2013 at 7:19 pm

All your informations are really helpful.

Kim Christopher D. Legaspi November 21, 2013 at 12:07 am

This is a very helpful and great news for us who wants to work in Canada! It would be grateful if somebody will assist me going through immigation process.

Mohamed Ibrahim Kamara November 28, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Hi, I am a Pharmacy Technician with a Diploma-In-Pharmacy from College of Medicine and Allied Health Sciences ( University of Sierra Leone ) presently living in Sierra Leone. Are there any room for pharmacy technician?

Keiko Gavenia January 7, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I am very interested to be a Nurse in Canada, However, I don’t have clinical experience. I applied as a call center agent immediately after passing the licensure Exam here in the Philippines. I always wanted to be in a medical field. Does it require for me to have a clinical experience to be qualified to apply as a Nurse in Canada? Is there a processing fee??

I would definitely appreciate a response. Thanks

Sue January 17, 2014 at 7:26 pm

“Nurses is in high demand throughout Canada.” This is an interesting and inspiring article. The prospect for nurses in Canada and those considering emigrating to Canada looks bright. However, for the purpose of those people who are considering emigrating to Canada, the earnest is on each individual to do their homework before deciding to drop everything and head to what is assumed to be “greener pasture.” While the opportunities might be endless, this journey is not for sprinters nor for the faint of heart – be prepare to sacrifice time and money because returning to school should be one of your top priorities if and when you decide take this journey. That is if you really want to continue in your nursing career (you MUST upgrade to Canadian standard). In addition, for the purpose of schooling and/or employment in Canada, get your credentials assess by the organization responsible for assessing foreign academic credentials before coming to Canada.

shamsher March 2, 2014 at 7:57 pm

very good opportunity
Thanks a lot

felix pan March 5, 2014 at 3:28 am

my understanding, under the QSW ( quebec skilled worker) nurses cannot work as registered nurse until in their possession of the immigrant card and passed the exam of canadian registered nurse. these are nurses coming to quebec with no job offer, but given immigrant status. have to obtain any kind of work in order to survive. pay for their rent , food and public transportation. make sure you have enough canadian to keep afloat. I donot know how true is this?

Jinsha James May 12, 2014 at 7:10 am

how much IELTS score I need for applying QSW?
what are the requirements including cost?

GILBERT NDAYIKEJE September 8, 2014 at 10:23 am

I`m from burundi a small country right in central africa.my country is a french speaking one and actually I work as a nurse.I would like to get an information about my chances to work in canada as a nurse.Thank you so much.

TheyCallMeRoy October 13, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Hi! I am a registered nurse from the Philippines and I just passed theNCLEX-RN. I am interested in working or even migrating to Canada. Also, I would like to know if there are any job offers for registered nurses in Edmonton, Alberta. I would like to get as many information as I could just to land a job there and it would be a great help if someone will be able to walk me through the application and immigration process. Thank you and God bless us all!

LAKSHMI SALIKUMAR October 31, 2014 at 8:12 am

my husband got Canada PR. He is the primary applicant. I am a nurse. WHAT ARE THE QUALIFICATION NEEDED FOR ME TO WORK AS A NURSE THERE

Sumaira Iqbal November 5, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Hi! I am a registered nurse from Pakistan.
I have 5 year experience.
I have1 year 6 month experience at Shifa International Hospital Islamabad.
from 3 years ( 16 january 2011) still working in government Hospital .
How much IELTS score need ?
I am interested in migrating to canada from Pakistan
can you help me please.

Harjit kaur November 20, 2014 at 12:35 am

I want to settle in canada