CIC News » 2013 » October » As Canadian Industries Boom, Civil Engineers in High Demand

Oct

2013

As Canadian Industries Boom, Civil Engineers in High Demand

October, 2013

All around the world, civil engineers are among the key drivers of economic and societal growth. In Canada, a country with a rapidly expanding economy, the need for skilled engineers has never been greater. Civil engineers who come to Canada are able to take advantage of one of the most welcoming and well-paying job markets in the world, and many are able to stay in Canada permanently as Canadian Permanent Residents.

The Need for Civil Engineers

Civil engineering is one of the largest branches of engineering, comprising approximately one fifth of the entire discipline. Despite its popularity, Canada is facing a drastic shortage of qualified civil engineers. This is due to a number of factors, including expansion of projects throughout the country and a work force that is, on average, older and closer to retirement than other engineering disciplines.

While civil engineers are coveted across Canada, the provinces of British Columbia and Alberta are especially in need of experts in this field. According to Statistics Canada, 2013 was the first year that the ‘excess supply’ of civil engineers in the country reached zero. This means that, statistically, the profession has full employment. At current rates, it is expected that thousands of civil engineering jobs will need to be filled by the year 2020.

With too few Canadian graduates pursuing this career path, many employers are looking abroad to find the workers they need. Shawn Paulson, an Edmonton-based engineering recruiter, said the following in an interview with the Financial Post:

“We’ve shown a 25% increase in overall hires each year, and those are all engineers. Last year alone we hired over 600 engineering-related professionals. Unfortunately, there are just not enough graduates right now.”

Civil Engineers Find Success in Canada

Once in Canada, civil engineers benefit from good jobs and competitive salaries. Because their skills are in high demand, they have the flexibility to work almost anywhere they wish, provided that they obtain the necessary certification.

Even recent civil engineering graduates with limited professional experience are highly sought after. In fact, the entry level salary for this field is one of the highest in Canada, with new graduates regularly making figures in the mid $60,000 range. Mid-career and advanced level professionals can make salaries in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

With so much demand for their skills, civil engineers can choose not just their place of work, but also the type of work they wish to do. They are therefore often able to work on fulfilling assignments in fields directly associated with their expertise, whether they are in a booming city or on the Canadian frontier.

“With a growing population in need of services, not to mention the incredibly profitable natural resources sector, engineers are needed more than ever to help Canada meet current and future needs,” said Attorney David Cohen. “More than almost any other occupation, their skills are truly rewarded at the highest levels.”

Coming to Canada as a Civil Engineer

At any time, a foreign engineer may travel to Canada as a Temporary Worker, provided they have received an eligible job offer and obtained the necessary work authorization. However, there are also many options for civil engineers to immigrate directly to Canada as Permanent Residents.

The Quebec Skilled Worker Program awards a high number of points to civil engineers, whose profession is currently listed on the province’s list of eligible areas of training/fields of study. Once in Canada, engineers who immigrate through this program may seek work in Quebec’s cities or extensive natural resource sector, or they may pursue employment opportunities elsewhere in Canada.

Additionally, Civil Engineers are on the current list of eligible occupations for the popular Federal Skilled Worker Program. The Federal Skilled Worker Program is accepting only 300 applications for each targeted occupation, so interested applicants should be aware that quick action may be required to submit an application before the program closes for this year.

If an individual is already working in Canada as a civil engineer, s/he may be eligible to apply through the Skilled Worker stream of the Provincial Nominee Program that covers their province of residence, or through the Canadian or Quebec Experience Class programs.

“Overall, there is no shortage of opportunities for a civil engineer to come to Canada,” said Attorney David Cohen. “With such valuable skills, they will truly have all of Canada ready to welcome them to their new home.”

To find out if you are eligible for any of the over 60 Canadian immigration programs, please fill out a free online assessment today.

Ibekwe philip October 17, 2013 at 11:06 am

Dear Sir,
I have gone through your article on civil engineers and found it interesting.
I am a reputable registered Nigerian civil Engineer with over 8 years experience. Please could your advice steps to take so as to key into this oppurtunity as enumerated in ur article.

Francis October 17, 2013 at 1:06 pm

It is good to know that civil engineer are in demand in Canada, but it is also good to know that those engineer once in Canada will have to struggle and spend lot of their money in order to get the certification and accreditation the employers will request them.

Canada has to address that issue and find the way to make those skilled workers get in the work force quickly. If you want to know if a person is qualify in a field, give him a test during the interview.

Regards

mehta kul bhushan October 17, 2013 at 2:32 pm

i am a civil engineer want to work in canada

oussama zrafi October 17, 2013 at 4:00 pm

hi I am a senior technician in civil engineering,
I have a degree in civil engineering license applied in 2012 ,I have over a years experience in this field.
I want to immigrate to canada,I want information about admission and documents required for registration.
thank you.

Vivekanandan October 17, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I am Civil Engineer with 20 years of Singapore experience in Building Facade,Steel,Water/waste Engineering / Oil & gas/ Marine Engineering Industries. I am Singaporean by decent. Interested to migrate to Canada

Vishwkarma Ashishkumar October 17, 2013 at 4:27 pm

i am civil engineer looking forward for a good opportunity in Canada ,READY TO MIGRATE AND WORK IN CANADA.

baktyar abdwlla October 17, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I am a mechanical engineer graduated from University high in Baghdad in 1992/1993 Iraq designed more than fifty msroa of civil buildings and commercial wenfst more than 100 commercial and governmental buildings do include me decision to immigrate to Canada

Mir Fazal Khan October 18, 2013 at 4:28 am

I am Mechanical Engineer. I have 16 years working experience in different areas and majority experience in hospital. Can I apply, please let me know all details.

Ali October 18, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I am a civil engineer ,I have 12 years work experience and I have engineering official bureau
, I want work in Canada immigrate to Canada ,what I do?

Patrick Conrad Paredes October 20, 2013 at 5:00 am

How can I apply for working visa in canada? What are the requirements since I am a Civil Engineer currently working in Saudi Arabia.

Syed Anowar Zahid October 20, 2013 at 5:05 am

Dear Sir,
I have read your on line news that Canada need Civil Engineer. This is great news for me as a Civil Engineer. I am more than 7 years experienced engineer in Construction Sector. So, i feel that i may illegible.

Sir, my main problem is My IELTS Score is 5.5 (General Training) and 6.0 (Academic). My academic background in Bachelor in Civil Engineering. I have already completed my Credential Assessment from ICAS.
They have given certificate where they mentioned that my degree is equivalent to canadian bachelor degree.
So, sir now how can you help me to settle at Canada. Sir, main problem is IELTS score at GT is 5.5.
Sir, this news inspire me. please give suggestion. I am eagerly waiting for your kind response.

Mousa October 20, 2013 at 6:50 am

Dear,

Can I apply for a job before preparing my immigration documents? I’m an Egyptian civil engineer works for an international company in egypt, ready to start a new life in canada immidiatly, i want to know the companies that need civil engineers.

Regards,

SP Ashta October 20, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I am Civil Engineer with 40 years of experience in almost all the disciplines of Civil Engineering connected with Real Estate Development. I am post graduated in Project management from IIT,Delhi. My credentials have been evaluated by the WES, Toronto and have been declared at par with Graduation and post graduation degrees of Canada. I am 65 and maintaining good health and working in the field (at site). My son and daughter in law are PRs in Toronto.
Please let me know if you can guide me for getting a job in Canada.
SP Ashta

yasir October 20, 2013 at 11:03 pm

i am civil engineer from Iraq and i have good experience and my questions can i work in Canada ?

CARINE MUHAYUWERA October 21, 2013 at 4:41 am

i am a Rwandan by nationality, i graduated this year 2013 in Civil Engineering department.and i would like to come in Canada looking for a Job. Thank you!!!!!!

Daniel JUPITER October 22, 2013 at 12:25 am

THIS IS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR ALL ENGINEERS IN ROUND OF THE WORLD
THANKS TO CANADIAN IMMIGRATION FOR THE BIG DICISION.

JUPITER DANIEL
CIVIL ENGINEER

kuram karum October 22, 2013 at 6:17 am

Hi ,im civil engineer for 30yrs at singaporean airlines.send me info regarding migration.thanks

ROGER M. LIVED October 22, 2013 at 8:14 am

Dear Sir;

Your news article inspire me and very much interested to work in Canada.

For my credentials, i am presently working at National Power Corporation for more than 18 years as a Civil Engineer. Kindly give me suggestion/s on how to work in Canada on a immigrant status including my family as well.

Thank you and more power..

RML

khaled Ibraheem Ahmed October 22, 2013 at 10:21 am

Dear,

I’m an Egyptian civil engineer works in Kuwait, I have 20 years experience in oil and gas industry, ready to start a new life in canada immidiatly, i want to know the companies that need civil engineers or how can I immigarte in short time, my age is 52 years.

Regards,

ali October 22, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Dear Sir,
I am Civil Engineer with 22 years of experience in Building, I have some Interested to migrate to Canada.
Please let me know if you can guide me for getting a job in Canada.
sincerely

Ali Leiva

RANDY TETEVI October 24, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I am an Architect with a broad background in civil engineering projects for 16 years would my qualification fit the skilled workers programme?

NICETO HALASAN October 25, 2013 at 1:42 am

I am a Civil Engineer with a broad background in civil engineering projects and quantity surveying for 22 yrs.

My Name Abdishakur Dahir October 28, 2013 at 10:59 am

Dear;
I am civil engineering with 3years Experience for construction and Designing Process such as all structural engineering format like water, building Houses, highways with bridges and real states projects.
so I would like to every interesting for Canadian projects in or out the country, so that I want to Participate for that projects. it is possible or not?

MOHAMED AZARUDEEN October 28, 2013 at 11:47 am

Dear Sir

I am a B.E civil engineer with 5 years experience in construction field as a civil engineer. now i am currently working in Dubai – UAE. i would be like interested work in canada. So if have any opportunity for this position contact my mail

MOHAMED AZARUDEEN

MASOUD October 29, 2013 at 2:20 am

Dear Sirs
Thank you for all your efforts.
Please give me more information about immigration to canada.

Dominador Eugenio October 31, 2013 at 11:03 am

Hello,

I am provincial nominee here in Manitoba and recently granted a Canadian citizenship. I have been working for more or less five (5) years now as an assembler in the production/manufacturing, making sub-assembly of a header component for a harvester.
I am an agricultural engineer from the Philippines. I finished my Ag Eng’g degree from the Central Luzon State University (a state university), took and passed the board exam in 1976.
Am I qualified for the APEGM membership?

Dominador Eugenio

Hassan Omar November 1, 2013 at 5:19 am

Hi , iam going to take my bachelor In Electric engineering after two months from saudi arabia , and i was wondering if i could live and work in Canada? can you help me please ..

Pramod Dhote November 1, 2013 at 6:17 am

I am Civil Engineer with 5 years of experience in almost all the disciplines of Civil Engineering connected with Power Plant Project. I am post graduated in Earthquake Engineering from IIT,Roorkee, India.
Please let me know if you can guide me for getting a job in Canada.
Pramod

Rajeev Aryal November 1, 2013 at 6:55 am

Dear Sir
I am a B.E Civil Engineer with 7years experience in construction & Telecom Field as a civil Engineer and Project Mangaer. Now i am currently working in Nepal as a consultant and contractor in Telecom. I would be like interested work in canada. So if have any opportunity for this position please let me know by through mail.

Rajeev Aryal

Mohammad Ltif November 1, 2013 at 11:41 am

Dear,
I’m an Aghan civil engineer works in Kabul, I have 20 years experience in water supply and civil work, ready to start a new life in canada immidiatly, i want to know the companies that need civil engineers or how can I immigarte in short time, my age is 53 years

Onos Orotoma November 2, 2013 at 5:32 am

I am a retired British Soldier with seven years experience in logistics management, I study logistics management and also have a lot of experience in this field. I want to know with my experience in logistics in the British army and also a degree in logistics management what are the chances for me migrating to Canada? Please I will like to know if there are any chances for me moving to Canada, I am currently base in the UK.

Onos.

Rommel L. Aboy November 10, 2013 at 8:57 am

Hi I am Rommel, I want to travel and work in Canada, Recently I am working in Riyadh Kingdom of Saudi Arabia at KAPSARC Iconic Steel Structural Building as Quality Control Civil/Structural Inspector.. My previous job was at Wasit Gas Plant Site Preparation in Jubail Saudi Arabia as QC Civil Inspector .. I am a license civil engineer and a third year student of Mining Engineering. Looking forward in hearing from you soon.

Patrick Conrad Paredes November 11, 2013 at 3:24 am

Hi, I am a Civil Engineer currently working in Saudi Arabia Power Plant for more than seven(7) Years and i have 12 years working experience in the same field. I would like to if I and my family have chances to migrate to Canada and work as a Civil Engineer.

Para December 15, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Prospective Civil Engineer

Hi, I am a recent engineering graduate from a Canadian University, and I feel this statistic is far from true. I graduated in 2013; top of the class, with ample summer and other engineering related experience. With the flexibility to travel within Canada, I am having difficulty securing a job in this field. Why is that? Only reason that I can come up with is this; although I have the technical knowledge, I lack the years of experience that employers seek that a new graduates simply can’t obtain. The statistics for a new graduate in the mid $66/year; well how rare is that? As for the forecast for a shortage of civil engineers might not be true, since over time the market might catch up as new graduates are being pumped out of our universities in the hundreds; not to mention the market gearing more towards Technologists and Technicians. As for the statistics, I feel they reflect the broader scope of the engineering discipline–not just civil engineering–and the “…Unfortunately, there are just not enough graduates right now” maybe a reflection of the job opportunity not reaching the job market participants effectively. Surely, if there is a lack of civil engineering graduates, then I should get myself a voice mail system that has the capacity to accommodate the replies I should be getting from all the qualifying job opportunities that I have been submitting my resumes to. In any case I am yet to prove myself wrong.

Regards,

zahid January 27, 2014 at 5:14 pm

this is a good news. i’m going to start my undergraduation program on civil engineering this year…. :-)

EMO March 10, 2014 at 6:16 pm

The writeup is good and will seem like true to those abroad. I am based in Canada. I am Bachelor of Engineering degree holder in Civil Engineering and its been more than 13 months still looking for employment. How do we reconcile this with what was written here. If you have ability to stay patient looking for employment in the hidden job market here and you are willing to bite the bullet of doing some of the jobs you last attempted while you were in the high school to keep up with the high standard of living in Canada while you looking for job, then go ahead and get the paper to come here.

Let us assume that you intend to retrain here adding to your earlier degree, you will be surprised with the response you will get from universities here.

Let me not sound so negative. Canada is good but try to read between the lines when you see such writeup. Ask your friends and those who are in your profession here to aggregate things.

Cheers

ujjwal akash August 28, 2014 at 9:00 am

I have completed B.E. in civil engg.i want job in civil engg

Rasel September 28, 2014 at 4:46 pm

I’m graduate civil Engineer. I like to job in canada. How can I getting this chance?