CIC News > Latest News > General > Q & A: Absence in excess of 6 months

Q & A: Absence in excess of 6 months

Font Style

Font Size

Q. I recently returned to a position in the USA when I was not able to find a suitable employment within Canada. I understand that you can only be out of Canada for 6 months. Is there a form I can file requesting an extension to leave Canada for a year without losing my PR status?

Answer: Absence of greater than 183 days out of any 12 month period can result in the assumption that your status in Canada was abandoned. The ability to demonstrate that no such intention existed is grounds for maintenance of status despite absence.

Although the Returning Resident Permit can act as prima facia evidence of such lack of intention, it is not mandatory.