CIC News > Latest News > Q & A: Returning from an Extended Absence

Q & A: Returning from an Extended Absence

Font Style

Font Size

Q. ” I am a Canadian Green Card holder. I landed in June, 1996. I have been working in the U.S. and have not come back to Canada since landing. I wonder if I can go back to Canada, and if I will face the withdrawal of the GC when I enter Canada.”

Answer: As a permanent resident, you have the right to enter Canada. At such time, an immigration official may question your intentions regarding Canada based on your extended absence. If you are able, at that time or at an adjudication, demonstrate that you did not have the intention to abandon Canada as your place of permanent residence, your status in Canada would remain intact.

Additional information available at: