Q & A: Returning Resident Permit

CIC News
Published: August 1, 1998

Q. At the moment I am a Ph.D student in USA on a foreign visa. I have received landing documents and must land prior to the completion of my degree. Will I be eligible for the Returning Resident Permit to complete my education? If not, will I forfeit my status in Canada?

Answer: As a general rule, applications for RRP in cases where the individual had not resided in Canada for a significant period of time are risky. It should be remembered, however, that the RRP does not grant status in Canada, nor does its refusal revoke such. As long as the individual remains able to demonstrate that no effort to abandon Canada as the place of permanent residence, status in Canada should be intact.

If you do decide to complete your PhD, you should land as late as possible within the validity of your landing documents. In this way, you will minimize the time spent absent from Canada following landing.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Top Stories
Canada’s non-permanent resident population is 2.2 million people
How long does it take for Canada to process visa applications from India?
Canada invites 500 French-speaking candidates in category-based Express Entry draw
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Express Entry
Canada invites 500 French-speaking candidates in category-based Express Entry draw
Waterfall near Victoria on Vancouver Island.
Canada releases 2022 Annual Report on Express Entry
Children playing together in colourful natural park on autumn day
What counts as eligible work experience for immigration through Express Entry?
Business people having a meeting in a tech company
Express Entry: Canada has first ever draw for transport occupations
IRCC has held its first ever Express Entry draw for transport occupations.
Link copied to clipboard