Q & A: Permanent Resident Employed Abroad

CIC News
Published: September 1, 1998

Q. I have a chance to be sent by a Canadian company to work in the US. The company recruits and then sends engineers all over N. America. Will this mean I am still subject to the 6 months rule during my 3 year wait on PR (before getting a Canadian passport)? Or as its a Canadian company can I spend much more than 6 months in any 12 month period in the US?

Answer: The 183 day rule applies to any Canadian PR absent for a period of greater than 6 months out of any given 12 month period. If your absence is part of the requirement of a Canadian employer, however, the likelihood is less that an immigration official would feel that you had abandoned your status in Canada. Note that employment by a recruiting company may not suffice as a Canadian employer.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Top Stories
How does IRCC choose sponsors through the Parents and Grandparents Program?
Can I be a dual citizen if I immigrate to Canada?
From work to study: How Americans can begin their Canadian journey
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Canada
From work to study: How Americans can begin their Canadian journey
An American and Canadian flag blowing in the wind against one another.
IRCC’s update on its plan to attract global talent
Sunlight on an airplane wing
Study finds more newcomers are considering moving to escape housing costs
Typical homes in Canada
How to take a break from your studies and maintain eligibility for a work permit
A student at the airport looking at flight times.
Link copied to clipboard