CIC News > Latest News > Q & A: PR in Canada and USA

Q & A: PR in Canada and USA

Font Style

Font Size

Q. Can an individual get a Canadian GC and continue work in US and also apply for US Permanent residency? if so by what time has one to decide which one he or she should stick with ?

Answer: There is no bar to applying for permanent resident status in either Canada or the USA while holding similar status in the other country. You may not legally maintain such status in both countries indefinitely, however. The time at which the decision would have to be made is theoretically at the time of landing at the second country, although in practicality it can often be deferred.



We welcome your feedback

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.