Q & A: Applying as a Same-Sex Partner

CIC News
Published: July 1, 1999

Q. I would like to join my same sex partner who is a Canadian citizen residing in Canada. Although my education is not yet complete, the Canadian Embassy has suggested to me that I should start my application process before I receive my diploma as the application time can be quite lengthy.I am uncertain as to what my best course of action in the matter would be as this is a very delicate and important situation for me. Would it be best to apply right away, to wait for my diploma or could my partner apply?

Answer: As a general rule, we would not recommend that applicants proceed with an application in the skilled worker program prior to having fulfilled the requirements of such.

In the case of a same sex relationship, the candidate is typically assessed in the skilled worker program first. If the individual does not qualify, the case is then assessed under Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds. This is likely the reason that the immigration official advised you to proceed early.

[Comment: In the cases of same-sex or common-law partners, where formal marriage documents may not exist, it is important to objectively document the relationship for the purpose of applying for immigration. Doing so can often be critical where an applicant does not meet the requirements of the selection criteria for an independent applicant.]

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Top Stories
Can I be a dual citizen if I immigrate to Canada?
From work to study: How Americans can begin their Canadian journey
8 Tips for the Listening Component of your CELPIP Test
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Sponsor Content
8 Tips for the Listening Component of your CELPIP Test
When the time comes to take your CELPIP Test, listen carefully to the recordings.
Helpful advice for newcomers landing in Canada: A post-arrival checklist for newcomers to Canada
When you arrive, you will have to go through a process to confirm your identity.
Studying in Canada? Get Support with Increased Awards from the CAEL Scholarships!
As a test explicitly designed to measure students' English language proficiency in an academic context, CAEL is one of the most effective assessments for identifying individuals with the skills needed for success at Canadian universities and colleges.
How Pre-Arrival Services Help Immigrants to Canada Even Before They Arrive
Planning for Canada Team
Link copied to clipboard