Q & A: Same Sex Couple + Medical Condition

CIC News
Published: December 1, 1999

Q. Does anyone know anyone who might have any information at all that might help an HIV+/HIV- same-sex couple immigrate to Canada on Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds? Neither member of the relationship currently resides in Canada, though the negative partner could likely immigrate as an independent.

Answer: Current Canadian Immigration regulations do not allow for same-sex or common-law couples to sponsor their partners under the normal family-reunification rules. However, Immigration Canada has developed an internal policy pursuant to which same-sex/common-law partners of Canadian residents/Permanent Residents will be evaluated as Independent/Skilled Worker applicants. If insufficient "units of assessment" are awarded to the individual, the visa officer would then evaluate, on a case by case basis, whether a permanent resident visa should nonetheless be granted on "Humanitarian and Compassionate" grounds.

The visa officer would then examine all of the evidence provided to establish the genuine nature of the relationship (does the couple live together? for how long? how long have they been a couple? etc...

Almost certainly, however, an applicant that is diagnosed with HIV would not be considered medically admissible. The result could be refusal of all applicants in the case, as is the case with a typical family.

Additional information on this topic may be found at the following URL:


Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Top Stories
Ontario and British Columbia invite candidates to apply for provincial nomination
7 apps to prepare for your move to Canada
Helpful advice for newcomers landing in Canada: A post-arrival checklist for newcomers to Canada
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Sponsor Content
Helpful advice for newcomers landing in Canada: A post-arrival checklist for newcomers to Canada
When you arrive, you will have to go through a process to confirm your identity.
Studying in Canada? Get Support with Increased Awards from the CAEL Scholarships!
As a test explicitly designed to measure students' English language proficiency in an academic context, CAEL is one of the most effective assessments for identifying individuals with the skills needed for success at Canadian universities and colleges.
How Pre-Arrival Services Help Immigrants to Canada Even Before They Arrive
Planning for Canada Team
TD Bank Group and Cricket Canada announce new sponsorship
TD will be the official bank of Cricket Canada’s national teams and help support Cricket Canada as it works to build Canada's vibrant cricket-loving community.
Link copied to clipboard