Who May Represent You

CIC News
Published: January 1, 2001

The Citizenship and Immigration Department has published a document, entitled "Who May Represent You," outlining some of the factors that candidates considering professional representation should consider. In this document, the Department has clarified some of the differences between representation by a lawyer and representation by a consultant. Below are some of the points made in this regard:

* Only lawyers licensed to practise in Canada can represent you at the Federal Court.
* CIC can provide information on your file only to people who are either(1) Canadian citizens,(2) permanent residents of  Canada or(3) physically present in Canada. Representatives who live outside Canada and are neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents might be unable to help you.
* Be cautious when dealing with foreign-based representatives. Such companies or individuals may be outside the reach of Canadian law, and there may be no protection or remedy available in Canada to a dissatisfied client.


* Lawyers practising in Canada are regulated by provincial regulatory bodies. Only a lawyer who is a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial law society may practise law. The law societies regulate lawyers and can investigate complaints against members, impose discipline and provide financial compensation to clients who are victims of negligence or misconduct.

Immigration consultants

* Immigration consultants are not regulated by either the federal or provincial governments of Canada.

The distinction between a lawyer and a consultant is, certainly, not the only factor that should be considered in selecting professional representation. Determining that you are dealing with a knowledgeable and professional practitioner, lawyer or consultant, is most important. Applicants should bear in mind, however, some of the limitations on those outside of Canada, and the implications of those limitations on the ability of the representative to effectively assist you.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Top Stories
Budget 2024: How Canada is continuing its commitment to safe and inclusive communities
Recent policies that may make home ownership more affordable for eligible newcomers to Canada
Study Abroad in Canada: A Useful Checklist for International Students
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Sponsor Content
Study Abroad in Canada: A Useful Checklist for International Students
Study Abroad in Canada: A Useful Checklist for International Students
Live Webinar: Tax Tips for Newcomers
Filing Taxes
Studying in Canada: An updated guide to applying for Canada’s Student Direct Stream in 2024
The process of applying for a Canadian study permit has undergone changes recently, affecting many candidates that will apply for expedited processing through the Student Direct Stream (SDS) in 2024.
HDFC Bank and TD Bank Group sign agreement to streamline education journey for Indian students in Canada
Two people in discussion
Link copied to clipboard