Q & A: Sponsoring A Sibling

CIC News
Published: March 1, 2001

Q. I am a permanent resident and have a brother who is 23. How I can sponsor him or apply for him?

Answer: A sibling is not considered a member of the Family Class, unless he or she is the dependent of a parent. You may sponsor your brother alone only if you are unmarried, have no close family in Canada, and have no existing members of the Family Class (I.e., parents, fiancee).

Otherwise, he would have to seek admission in an independent category, and may benefit from bonus points as an assisted relative.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Top Stories
Ontario and British Columbia invite candidates to apply for nomination in latest PNP draws
Report: Approval, processing rates drop after IRCC’s student cap
IRCC ends flagpoling services for PGWP applicants
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Work
IRCC ends flagpoling services for PGWP applicants
International students are no longer eligible to apply for their PGWP at Canada's borders.
Report recommends that Canada phase out closed work permits
Two workers in a factory are talking and smiling
What are my chances of receiving a work permit through the IEC this year?
A young man smiling in an office building while looking at his phone.
Which jobs received the most LMIAs in 2023?
A picture of a Canadian visa above an application for a Labour Market Impact Assesment.
Link copied to clipboard