Q & A: Taxation of Foreign Income

CIC News
Published: April 1, 2001

Q. We plan to immigrate to Canada. We want to find out if we have some regular monthly income in our former country and transfer that to Canada while we live in Canada as immigrants and citizens afterwards, do we have to pay any tax for those?

Answer: You have asked as to the taxation of regular monthly income earned in your former country once you have become a Canadian resident. Under Canadian income tax rules, you will be subject to Canadian tax on your world income from the date that you become a Canadian resident. As such, any income earned in your former country, whether the funds are transferred to Canada or not, will be included in your income for tax purposes in Canada for the year.

On this basis, it is possible that you will be subject to tax in both Canada and your country of residence on the same income. To alleviate the possibility of double taxation, Canada will allow a foreign tax credit which will, to some extent, reduce the tax in Canada based on the tax paid in the foreign country. Additionally, it should be noted that, if Canada has an income tax treaty with your former country of residence, it may be possible to reduce the withholding tax rate on the foreign income earned.

The nature of this facility is to provide a general response to a general question. Under no circumstances should anyone act on this information without obtaining analysis and counsel from a qualified advisor with respect to the specific situation.

Phillip Nadler, CA
Richter Usher & Vineberg

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Top Stories
Parental education and income have positive effect on educational attainment of childhood immigrants
Newcomer access to credit in Canada improves over time, according to new study
IRCC to introduce new automated tools for faster PGWP and work permit extension processing
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Work
IRCC to introduce new automated tools for faster PGWP and work permit extension processing
A woman looks into a camera with two professional looking people behind her. IRCC is set to introduce new automated tools to assist with PGWP and WP processing.
How to immigrate to Canada as a transport worker
Happy truck driver looking through side window while driving his truck
Top 10 questions about Canada’s work permit process
Toronto skyline
Canada ranked the most attractive destination for immigrant entrepreneurs in 2023
Link copied to clipboard