Q & A: Landing and Returning

CIC News
Published: June 1, 2001

Q. I received my landing documents, and plan to move. I am now in California, and have the US H1B visa. My plan is go to Canada for landing, stay there for a few days, then go back the US to say goodbye to my boss, then reenter Canada. My question is what documents do I need provide at the time of landing?

Answer: At the time of landing, you require a valid passport and valid landing documents which correspond at a minimum. Evidence of available settlement funds, and a goods-to-follow list should also be made available.

At the time of landing, it should be apparent that you are moving to Canada permanently. As such, you should be in possession of sufficient belongings and assets for this purpose. If it appears that you are landing, then returning to the USA, your landing may be barred.

You may be asked questions such as the following to determine if it is your intention to relocate permanently to Canada:

1. Have you terminated your employment in the USA?

2. Have you sought a position in Canada? Have you found a position in Canada?

3. Have you arranged lodging in Canada?

The amount of assets and belongings in your possession may also be used as an indication of your intention to move to Canada.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Top Stories
IRCC’s update on its plan to attract global talent
IRCC invites 1,800 candidates in third Express Entry draw this week
Finding your first job as an international graduate in Canada 
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Work
Finding your first job as an international graduate in Canada 
candidate's waiting for a job interview in an office.
Six frequently asked questions about Canadian work permits
A group of working professionals, in an office building.
Why IRCC may refuse your application for a post-graduation work permit
Female entrepreneur working using laptop looking at camera.
Am I eligible for a Bridging Open Work Permit?
A Family of four enjoying golden leaves in autumn park
Link copied to clipboard