Q & A: Maintaining Residency

CIC News
Published: October 1, 2002

Q. If an individual landed in Canada 3 years ago, and was subsequently absent with a valid Returning Resident Permit for 2 years, is he eligible to return to Canada now? Will status be lost since he has been absent for more than 183 days without the RRP?

Answer: The 2/5 year rule applies to all permanent residents, including those who landed prior to its implementation. Time spent absent from Canada with a valid returning resident permit will generally be considered as time spent resident in Canada for the purpose of the evaluation of residency under this rule. The 183 Day Rule is no longer a factor in deciding residency status.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Top Stories
Express Entry’s targeted occupations: how many agricultural and agri-food workers does Canada really need?
The trends of immigrant employment in Canada
Canada’s international student population continues to soar
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Study
Canada’s international student population continues to soar
student studying
Senators release new report on improving the integrity of Canada’s international student program
Four members of Canada’s Senate released a report on September 20, outlining how to strengthen the integrity of the country’s international student program.
Study in Canada: What we know about IRCC’s proposed Trusted Institutions Framework
trusted institutions framework study in canada
IRCC extends transition period for distance learning measures to December 2023
Student completing distance studies online.
Link copied to clipboard