CIC News > Latest News > General > Q & A: Intra-Company Transfer

Q & A: Intra-Company Transfer

Font Style

Font Size

Q. I am a software consultant employed by a large software company based in the United States. I was hoping to transfer to the company’s Canada office for various reasons. Is this possible?

Answer: The details of your qualifications and of the nature of the job offer would determine the available avenues for employment authorization at the Canadian division of your company.

However, there are varying provisions which can allow you to transfer to a Canadian affiliate or subsidiary of your foreign employer. Although specific provisions for Intra-Company Transferees exists under NAFTA, GATS, and Significant Benefit to Canada, there are also additional provisions specific to your occupation which could prove to be preferable.

Each of the above provisions have differing individual requirements.