Your Profession – In Canada

CIC News
Published: August 1, 2005

If you are a qualified professional or tradesperson, you may be wondering about how you will continue to work in your occupation after you arrive in Canada. Occupations in Canada can be divided into two general groups: regulated and un-regulated.

Although approximately 80% of jobs in Canada are unregulated, there are many cases where restrictions to practicing a profession occur. The first step in determining if your occupation is regulated can be to contact the professional association or regulatory body for your occupation in your country of origin. Many Canadian professional associations have made agreements with other countries to grant some equivalency of credentials.

The next step is to contact the Provincial or Territorial association responsible for your occupation in the region of Canada where you intend to settle. Regulated occupations often have a Provincial or Territorial association responsible for the recognition of qualifications to work in that field. Canadians and non-Canadians alike must meet the requirements of the regulatory body before taking up a job in that occupation. Persons who meet the standards of a regulated profession must acquire licence or register with the relevant Canadian association.

Although the process of recognizing your qualifications will depend on your occupation and where in Canada you intend to work, usually an assessment of your training, experience and skills will take place. The specific fees, timelines and procedures can vary greatly, so investigate your profession in Canada as early as possible and be prepared to start the next stage of your career.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Top Stories
New data suggests growing demand for temporary foreign workers in several Canadian industries
Ontario, British Columbia, Manitoba, and PEI nominate newcomers for provincial immigration
IRCC’s update on its plan to attract global talent
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Canada
IRCC’s update on its plan to attract global talent
Sunlight on an airplane wing
Study finds more newcomers are considering moving to escape housing costs
Typical homes in Canada
How to take a break from your studies and maintain eligibility for a work permit
A student at the airport looking at flight times.
Two Canadian cities among the most livable in the world, as Toronto drops out of the top 10
A view of the sunset in Calgary at a lake.
Link copied to clipboard