CIC News > Latest News > Question & Answer

Question & Answer

Font Style

Font Size

Question: The skilled worker application asks what city the applicant plans to settle in. If the applicant is subsequently selected, is he/she obliged to settle initially in that city?

Answer: Once you enter Canada as a Permanent Resident, you will be able to live anywhere you wish inside of Canada’s borders regardless of the initial settlement response you submitted through your application for Permanent Residency. As a Canadian Permanent Resident, you are guaranteed a basic right of “mobility” under Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms States clearly in Section 6.2 that:

Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a Permanent Resident of Canada has the right

a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and
b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.