New government agency will recognize foreign credentials

CIC News
Published: March 1, 2006

In his first public address as Immigration Minister, Monte Solberg announced that a federal agency will be developed to respond to the needs of Canada 's skilled immigrants. He also re-iterated his government's plan to reduce the immigrant landing fee by half.

Speaking at the Public Policy Forum Convention held In Toronto recently, Solberg did not mention specifically when the new "credentials recognition" agency will be instituted, however has noted that it would require co-operation from various levels of government and business, as well as the academic establishment and various community groups.

He has also repeated his government's promise to cut the Right of Permanent Residence landing fee by half. He believes that the reduced fee will make it "easier and more attractive for Newcomers to come to Canada".

“Our efforts should be focused on welcoming Newcomers and helping them fit in, not taxing them to death," he explained. According to Solberg, the reduction in the landing fee won't translate into less money for his department.

Despite the lack of a specific procedural timeline for the changes, Solberg did mention that any further commitments to the projects announced will come after the throne speech. The announcements were good news to conference attendees, many of whom work closely with Canada 's immigrant community.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Top Stories
Do I need a language test to immigrate to Canada?
IRCC increases number of permits it will process under temporary special measures for Palestinian extended family in Gaza
What kind of school should I apply to as an international student in Canada?
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Study
What kind of school should I apply to as an international student in Canada?
Two men collaborating on a computer project.
Has IRCC’s LOA verification system successfully protected Canadian international students?
Girl using laptop to have a video call with her friend
Which country allows international students to work the most hours?
teacher helping teenager students at College, learning technology and science in preparatory course for university
Who can study in Canada without a study permit?
friends in university or college bonding in a fun social conversation
Link copied to clipboard