CIC News > Latest News > A closer look at the 38 qualifying occupations under the Federal Skilled Worker Program: University Professors, and College and other Vocational Instructors

A closer look at the 38 qualifying occupations under the Federal Skilled Worker Program: University Professors, and College and other Vocational Instructors

Font Style

Font Size

There is often confusion about whether or not an individual is eligible to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, because their job title might differ from those listed in the announced 38 qualifying occupations. Job titles for a particular occupation can vary across different countries, different industries and even different employers, but the duties performed in the occupation are more important than the job title when it comes to determining eligibility. This month’s edition of our Newsletter highlights two of the 38 qualifying occupations—University Professors, and College and Other Vocational Instructors. A closer look at each occupation shows that there are more eligible applicants than the job titles initially suggest.

University Professors
—according to its National Occupation Classification description, the everyday duties for this occupation include teaching one or more university subjects to undergraduate and graduate students, preparing and delivering lectures to students, conducting laboratory sessions or discussion groups, and preparing, administering and grading examinations, laboratory assignments and reports.  Possible other duties include serving on faculty committees dealing with such matters as curriculum planning and degree requirements, and performing a variety of administrative duties.

While the above duties apply to university professors and department chairs, they may, depending on the circumstances, also apply to assistant or associate professors, visiting professors and university lecturers as well. All these job titles may be eligible under the Federal Skilled Worker category.

College and other Vocational Instructors
—the National Occupation Classification defines College and Other Vocational Instructors as instructors who teach academic, vocational, technical and applied art subjects both in colleges and at the college level.  Everyday duties include teaching students using a systematic plan of lectures, demonstrations, discussion groups, laboratory work, shop sessions, seminars, case studies, field assignments and independent or group projects. In addition, College and other Vocational Instructors develop curricula and courses, prepare, administer and mark student tests and papers, advise students on program curricula and career decisions, and provide individualized tutorial/remedial instructions, among other duties.

At first glance, this occupation seems to describe a narrow group of instructors at non-university post-secondary institutions, but other occupations may also fit the profile.

For example, an instructor that teaches English as a second language to adults may qualify under this occupation. In addition, an instructor who teaches students how to drive commercial vehicles may also qualify. Other potential applicants that may be considered under this occupation are company trainers and community-based trainers.

It is crucial for all potential immigrants to compare their job descriptions and duties to those of the 38 qualifying occupations—they might discover they qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker program even if their job titles say they don’t.

Find out if you qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker or any other Canadian immigration program



We welcome your feedback

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.