Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with David Cohen

CIC News
Published: February 28, 2012

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. Here are this month’s questions and answers:

My spouse is a Canada citizen but he does not have monthly income but has other assets such as a house. Could he sponsor me to immigrate to Canada under the Family Class Category?

While sponsors must sign a declaration that they will support the applicant they are sponsoring, there is no minimum income requirement for spousal sponsorship. However, if the sponsor has major financial problems, and is on social assistance, or is an undischarged bankrupt, he/she may be rendered ineligible to sponsor a spouse for Canadian immigration.

If I am granted a study permit, can my wife get an open work permit? And also importantly, with an open work permit would she be able to receive a license to practice as a regulated dental hygienist?

Yes, if you have a study permit your wife is eligible to receive an open work permit. With work authorization, she may be eligible to receive a license to practise as a regulated dental hygienist depending on the province. Since professions are regulated provincially she should verify any requirements with the provincial order where you are to settle.

I have applied for Canadian immigration under Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program in June 10, 2010. I have changed my job so is it necessary to inform Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) about this job change?

While there is no requirement to update CIC about work changes, you may want to do so if it will get you more experience points under the Work Experience factor.

I applied for permanent residency in 2005 but was rejected on account of my wife’s criminal record (shoplifting by mistake). Can I reapply, this time excluding my wife?

You can only exclude your wife from a new application if you are divorced or legally separated. In extreme circumstances, you may be able to exclude your wife if you are only separated in fact.

As well, your wife may be eligible to submit an Application for Rehabilitation.

I am a doctor and have one year experience as an intern, which is considered as a GP in my country, and then two years as a specialist. How will my work experience be counted for the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program?

You will be credited with one year of work experience as a GP (NOC 3112) and two years of experience as a Specialist Physician (NOC 3111) as long as you have performed a substantial number of the duties, including all of the essential duties, for each occupation claimed, as they appear in the NOC.

If you would like your general immigration question to be featured in our newsletter, please email your question to QNA@CICNEWS.COM

If you would like to be assessed for Canadian immigration, please complete CanadaVisa’s free Canadian immigration assessment form.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Top Stories
8 Tips for the Listening Component of your CELPIP Test
IRCC proposes amendments that require students to re-apply for a study permit if they change schools in Canada
New data suggests growing demand for temporary foreign workers in several Canadian industries
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Work
New data suggests growing demand for temporary foreign workers in several Canadian industries
This illustrates the continuation of an upward trend – save for 2020, due in part to the COVID-19 pandemic – that has persisted since at least 2016.
Finding your first job as an international graduate in Canada 
candidate's waiting for a job interview in an office.
Six frequently asked questions about Canadian work permits
A group of working professionals, in an office building.
Why IRCC may refuse your application for a post-graduation work permit
Female entrepreneur working using laptop looking at camera.
Link copied to clipboard