Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

CIC News
Published: June 29, 2012

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. Here are this month’s questions and answers:

My husband submitted an application to the Federal Skilled Worker program in 2009. He submitted his medical forms in May 2012, as this was the deadline for submission. However, we were married in early June. I would like to accompany him to Canada, but is it too late to be classified as his dependent? How does one go about doing so?

Citizenship and Immigration Canada must be notified that your husband, the principal applicant, is now married. You will have to complete an application form for Canadian Permanent Residency in Canada, and you will have to undergo medical and security checks.

Is there a specific place I should go to learn of all the immigration changes that will be taking place in the upcoming months?

There are a number of places you can go. CIC News has been closely following immigration changes across the board, including the most recent decision to temporarily halt the acceptance of applications to the Federal Skilled Worker program. For additional news, you can visit the "Immigration News" section of the Canadavisa website. You can also view updates from the government by clicking here.

I am an Indian national. I do not have a birth certificate, because there were no provisions for this at the time of my birth. What sort of documentation can I provide to satisfy immigration authorities in lieu of a birth certificate?

Citizenship and Immigration Canada will accept secondary, matriculation, or school leaving certificates as proof of birth. This is provided they have the following: your full name, your date of birth, and the name of your mother, father, or both.

Will the temporary pause in accepting Federal Skilled Worker applications affect my application to Quebec immigration?

No, as of now the Quebec Skilled Worker program as well as other Quebec programs are still open to receiving new applications, provided the applicant is eligible to apply.

If you would like your general immigration question to be featured in our newsletter, please email your question to QNA@CICNEWS.COM

If you would like to be assessed for Canadian immigration, please complete CanadaVisa’s free Canadian immigration assessment form.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Top Stories
The top three universities in Canada according to the 2025 QS World University Rankings
Live Webinar: A Clear Path to Academic Achievement in Canada Redefined
How some Express Entry candidates may benefit from category-based selection draws
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Express Entry
How some Express Entry candidates may benefit from category-based selection draws
Business people smiling and having a meeting in the office.
How do Express Entry draws in 2024 compare to 2023?
A man sitting at a table looking intently at his laptop.
Canada invites 3,000 Canadian Experience Class candidates in latest Express Entry draw
Canada has issued ITAs to more Express Entry candidates.
10 Frequently Asked Questions about Proof of Funds for Express Entry
young couple boyfriend and girlfriend smiling together looking at the camera
Link copied to clipboard