CIC News > Latest News > Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

Font Style

Font Size

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. Here are this month’s questions and answers:

What is the Right of Permanent Residence fee? Why do I have to pay this?

The Right of Permanent Residence Fee must be paid by the Principal Applicant and (if applicable) the accompanying Spouse or Common-Law Partner before they can become Permanent Residents of Canada. This fee must be paid before a Permanent Resident Visa can be issued. However, this fee can be refunded if the applicant(s) do not actually land in Canada and become Permanent Residents.

I heard that some Canadian diplomats abroad are currently on strike. Will this affect my immigration application?

The Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website states that “The Professional Association of Foreign Service Officers (PAFSO) union is currently taking strike action. PAFSO union members responsible for processing visa applications have been walking out of offices in Canada and overseas.” The website further states that “Anyone applying for a visa should anticipate delays and submit their application as far in advance as possible.” These statements seem to indicate that there will be delays in the finalization of immigration applications, however it is not clear how long these delays will be.

For the purposes of immigration to Canada, what is considered ‘full-time work experience’?

The new regulations for the Federal Skilled Worker program state that full-time work is equivalent to at least 30 hours per week of work.

One of my parents is a Canadian citizen, but I was born in the United States. Am I eligible for Canadian citizenship?

It depends. There are several factors to be considered, including when you were born, when your Canadian parent was born and how your Canadian parent obtained citizenship.

Canada’s citizenship laws have been amended several times since Canadian citizenship was created in 1946. For example, prior to 1977, some Canadians lost their citizenship if they became citizens of another country. Citizenship was restored to certain “lost Canadians” by the most recent amendments to Canadian citizenship legislation which came into force in 2009.

If you would like your general immigration question to be featured in our newsletter, please email your question to QNA@CICNEWS.COM

If you would like to be assessed for Canadian immigration, please complete a free Canadian immigration assessment form.



19 thoughts on “Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

  1. Avatar

    Could I re-apply for spousal sponsorshio once the person has been deported?

  2. Avatar

    Good Day:
    Can I re apply for spousal sponsorship (husband) once the previous application was withdrawn ? We are still married. We separated for a few months and now we are back together . If I could apply again would I have to start the whole process again or we could re open the last application?
    Really appreciate your feedback.
    Thank you and have a nice day.

  3. Avatar

    Hi, just wanted to understand, by when would the federal skilled worker applications open in 2014. My cap was filled,in 2013, before I could file my papers. Do we have to wait till end of 2014, for cic to launch EOI, or they would start taking FSW applications after April 2014?

  4. Avatar
    henry haddad

    dear sir/madam,
    i was excepted with my family in the investor program in Quebec in 2011. i submitted all related documents afterward to the federal gov’t. till now we are still waiting for further instructions . any advise. thank you.

  5. Avatar
    Jignesh Patel

    Dear Sir,

    For FSWP application ,What is the age limit? If Age limit is there, This consider for during put application only or until consider processing time of FSWP .

  6. Avatar
    jake wolfe

    i want to know how much a permanent resident visa costs for a whole family in canada, we are living in the united states and want to move to canada…help?

  7. Avatar
    Sheldon Spencer

    Hello Sir,

    As part of my application would I be required to notify my current employer of my intentions to immigrate. I have read that letters of reference would be required from employers for the past 10 years. Seeing that I am currently employed it would be rather uncomfortable requesting such a document from my current employer. Can you confirm or deny whether such a requirement exist ?

  8. Avatar

    Hi dear Mr. Cohen

    My wife applied for permanent residence visa 20 months ago, then after one year I applied for work permit and my application has refused. I want to know if I have been refused once can it influence bad on immigration process?

  9. Avatar
    nuha yas

    Hi Mr, Iam working as aspecial dentist in Baghdad, Iraq. I suffer from big social and political problems here. I want forcefully to immigrate to Canada. So; what can I do, please halp me.

We welcome your feedback

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.