Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

CIC News
Published: September 25, 2013

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. Here are this month’s questions and answers:

I am visiting Canada multiple times in the next six months. How can I make sure that I get a multiple-entry visitor visa?

You must indicate on the Visit Visa application forms that you are applying for a multiple entry visa, and include the appropriate amount of Government Fees with your application. It is important to keep in mind that it is purely discretion of the Visa Officer that evaluates your application whether to approve a multiple entry or single entry visitor visa.

I plan to work in Canada for one year, but my passport will expire before that. Will I still receive a year-long work permit?

As a general rule, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will not issue work permits that have a validity date that extends past the validity of the passport. You will need to apply for an extension of the work permit from within Canada once you have received the new passport with the longer validity.

How long can I get a Bridging Open Work Permit for? Is there a maximum time limit for this permit?

Bridging Work Permits will be issued with one year validity, with the expectation that the applicants Permanent Residence application is approved within that time frame. Should there be a delay in the issuance of the PR visa, then you will need to apply for an extension of the bridging work permit. CIC has not published any maximum time limits in relation to Bridging Work Permits.

After landing in the province I selected during my Permanent Residency application, how long must I wait before I can move to another Canadian province?

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms gives Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada the right to live and work anywhere in Canada. Once you land in Canada and become a Permanent Resident, you are legally entitled to move to any province. However, we recommend that you obtain legal advice to ensure that you do not have any contractual undertakings that prevent you from moving before taking any final decisions.

If you would like your general immigration question to be featured in our newsletter, please email your question to QNA@CICNEWS.COM

If you would like to be assessed for Canadian immigration, please complete a free Canadian immigration assessment form.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Top Stories
New data suggests growing demand for temporary foreign workers in several Canadian industries
Ontario, British Columbia, Manitoba, and PEI nominate newcomers for provincial immigration
IRCC’s update on its plan to attract global talent
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Canada
IRCC’s update on its plan to attract global talent
Sunlight on an airplane wing
Study finds more newcomers are considering moving to escape housing costs
Typical homes in Canada
How to take a break from your studies and maintain eligibility for a work permit
A student at the airport looking at flight times.
Two Canadian cities among the most livable in the world, as Toronto drops out of the top 10
A view of the sunset in Calgary at a lake.
Link copied to clipboard