Transitioning from Semi-Skilled Worker Status to Canadian Permanent Residency

CIC News
Published: October 16, 2013

Over 300,000 temporary foreign workers currently reside in Canada. They perform vital jobs in a wide array of professions and skill levels. Economic prosperity in Canada is increasingly dependent on workers who perform ‘semi-skilled’ occupations. These workers can be found in a range of key sectors, including but not limited to trucking, hospitality, construction, and manufacturing.

According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), semi-skilled work requires a secondary-school level of education, and/or on the job training in order to perform. However, it does not necessarily require post-secondary education. Semi-skilled occupations are classified as ‘C’ level in Canada’s National Occupation Classification (NOC), which organizes Canadian jobs according to their industry and the level of skill required to perform them. In addition to semi-skilled (NOC ‘C’ level) jobs, there are skilled jobs (NOCs A and B levels) and managerial jobs (NOC 0 level). Below semi-skilled are unskilled jobs, which are classified as NOC level D.

Most economically-driven Canadian immigration programs require workers to have experience in a ‘skilled’ job (NOC 0, A, or B levels). However, semi-skilled workers already in Canada may have a number of immigration options available to them, should they choose to pursue a Permanent Residency application.

In this article, the first in a two-part series, CIC News will explore the various programs that offer permanent residency options to semi-skilled (and sometimes unskilled) workers:

Options for Semi-Skilled Workers

All economic immigration programs with semi-skilled worker streams come under the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs). These programs are tailored to suit the labour needs of individual provinces. As such, no two are exactly the same. Interested applicants are encouraged to research what sort of regulations and requirements a program needs before applying.

In this article, CIC News will briefly outline five PNPs that include a semi-skilled worker component. In the next mid-month newsletter, we will explore the final five PNPs. Be aware that applicants to all PNP programs now require applicants to meet meet minimum language requirements in either English or French:

Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP):

  • Employer Driven Stream/Semi-Skilled Worker Category
    • Semi-skilled workers in the following five industries may be eligible to apply to this stream: Food and Beverage Processing, Hotel and Lodging, Manufacturing, Trucking, Foodservice.
    • An unlimited amount of candidates in the fields of front desk/clerk, room attendant, food and beverage processors, heavy haul truckers of all types, and food services will be accepted by the program until November 28th, 2013.
    • Applicants must be currently living in Alberta and working in the province for at least six months. Minimum total work experience in the field ranges from 6 months (trucking) to three years (food and beverage).
    • English language requirements for semi-skilled workers applying through the AINP program are less stringent than requirements for skilled workers
  • Strategic Recruitment Stream/Compulsory and Optional Trades Category
    • A range of skilled and semi-skilled occupations are eligible for this program. Applicants must be currently residing in Alberta on a valid work permit, and must possess both an invitation from Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training and an Alberta Qualification Certificate.

Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP):

  • Long Haul Truck Driver Stream
    • Truck drivers must be working in the industry in Saskatchewan for a minimum of 6 months, and have a total of 2 years of experience. They must have an eligible job offer from an employer in the field.
    • They must possess Saskatchewan Class 1A license and be able to drive to the United States.
  • Hospitality Sector Pilot Project
    • Food/Beverage Servers, Food Counter Attendant/Kitchen Helpers, and Housekeeping/Cleaning Staff may be eligible under this stream
    • Applicants must be living in Saskatchewan and must have worked for at least 6 months in one of the above industries.

British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BCPNP):

  • Strategic Occupations Stream/Entry-Level and Semi-Skilled Worker Category
    • Semi-skilled workers in the following three industries may be eligible to apply to this stream: Tourism and Hospitality, Long-Haul Trucking, and Food Processing.
    • Both semi-skilled and unskilled (NOC levels C and D) workers may be eligible to apply provided they are living and working in Northeastern British Columbia. This is provided as part of the Northeast Pilot Project.

New Brunswick Provincial Nominee Program (NB PNP):

  • Skilled Worker Applicants with Employer Support Stream
    • Workers in occupations at NOC C and D levels in the following industries may be eligible for this program: business, health, sales, trades/transportation, natural resources, and manufacturing. They must have been working for more than a year with their New Brunswick employer. They must also receive an eligible job offer from the employer.
    • Applications to this program are assessed on a points scale. Applicants must meet the 50 point mark to qualify for the program. Points are allocated on the basis of age, education, work experience, language ability and overall adaptability.

Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP):

  • Employer Direct Stream
    • NOC C and D level workers may be eligible for this program provided that they have been living and working in Manitoba for 6 months prior to submission of their application. They must hold an eligible job offer from a Manitoba employer.

To find out if you are eligible for a Provincial Nomination Program, or any of over 60 Canadian immigration programs, please fill out a free online assessment today.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Top Stories
Ontario and British Columbia invite candidates to apply for provincial nomination
7 apps to prepare for your move to Canada
Helpful advice for newcomers landing in Canada: A post-arrival checklist for newcomers to Canada
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Sponsor Content
Helpful advice for newcomers landing in Canada: A post-arrival checklist for newcomers to Canada
When you arrive, you will have to go through a process to confirm your identity.
Studying in Canada? Get Support with Increased Awards from the CAEL Scholarships!
As a test explicitly designed to measure students' English language proficiency in an academic context, CAEL is one of the most effective assessments for identifying individuals with the skills needed for success at Canadian universities and colleges.
How Pre-Arrival Services Help Immigrants to Canada Even Before They Arrive
Planning for Canada Team
TD Bank Group and Cricket Canada announce new sponsorship
TD will be the official bank of Cricket Canada’s national teams and help support Cricket Canada as it works to build Canada's vibrant cricket-loving community.
Link copied to clipboard