CIC News > Latest News > Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

Font Style

Font Size

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. Here are this month’s questions and answers:

Foreign musicians coming to Canada to play in bars or restaurants no longer need to receive an LMIA or work permit. Do they need other documentation to enter Canada? 

Individuals in this situation should be prepared to provide documentation at the Canadian port of entry that demonstrates their eligibility to work in Canada without a work permit. Providing performance contracts or alternate agreements that attest to the nature of the work being done in Canada will be helpful to support one’s case. However, it is important to note that the final decision to let a person into Canada rests with the Canadian Border Services Authority.

Individuals who are from a country that requires a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada should obtain a TRV before seeking to travel to the country to visit, work, or study.

How can I know when my occupation has reached its cap in the Federal Skilled Worker?

You can visit this page, which provides daily updates on the number of applications Citizenship and Immigration Canada has accepted for review under the Federal Skilled Worker Program. However, it is important to note that due to the large number of applications to the program, there is a delay between the time an application is accepted for processing and the time it is counted on the government’s list of received applications. Therefore, there is no guarantee that any one application will be received before an occupation cap is filled.

What kind of documentation do I need to provide to demonstrate my work experience for immigration purposes?

There are a number of ways to demonstrate your work experience for the purpose of immigrating to Canada. This can include:

  • Employment verification letters;
  • Employment contracts or appointment letters;
  • Job offer letters;
  • Deputation letters;
  • Performance reviews;
  • Pay slips;
  • Bank statements showing salary deposits;
  • Proof of income tax payments; or
  • Reference letters from former employers, customers, etc.

It is important to remember that the onus of demonstrating work experience lies with the applicant, and that a visa officer may determine any of the above documentation to be insufficient in proving that experience.

If you would like your general immigration question to be featured in our newsletter, please email your question to QNA@CICNEWS.COM

If you would like to be assessed for Canadian immigration, please complete a free Canadian immigration assessment form.