CIC News > Latest News > Analysis > Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

Font Style

Font Size

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. These questions cover immigration programs, eligibility, processing, language requirements, investing in Canada, landing, admissibility, studying in Canada, working in Canada, and much more. Here are this month’s questions and answers.

1. How do I find out whether I need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) in order to visit Canada by means of air transportation?

Apart from a few exceptions, foreign visitors to Canada require either a TRV or an eTA before air departure to Canada. The eTA system will be mandatory for visa-exempt visitors as of September 29, 2016. In order to find out whether you need a TRV or an eTA, use the Visiting Canada Tool.

2. When will the Parent and Grandparent Program reopen?

The Parent and Grandparent Program is scheduled to reopen on January 3, 2017, with a cap of 10,000 new and complete applications. Recent intake periods for this program have been competitive, with demand far outweighing supply. Consequently, intake caps have been reached quickly, often within a day.

Another option for Canadian citizens and permanent residents hoping to bring their parents and/or grandparents to Canada is the Super Visa. This visa is not a program for permanent residence, but allows parents and grandparents to come to Canada as long-term visitors. The Super Visa allows its bearer multiple entries to Canada for a period up to 10 years. The key difference between a Super Visa and a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is that the Super Visa allows an individual to stay for up to two years on initial entry into Canada, while a multiple-entry TRV typically only allows its bearer to remain in Canada for up to six months per entry.

3. Does the government of Canada plan on increasing the number of new immigrants it may accept?

The current Minister of Immigration, John McCallum, has stated on numerous occasions over recent months that he wishes to increase the overall number of new immigrants to Canada over the coming years. Details of this may be published before the end of 2016, as the government plans on providing its immigration plan later this year. I would encourage interested observers and stakeholders to keep an eye out for this news as and when it occurs.

If you would like your general immigration question to be featured in our newsletter, please email your question to

© 2016 CICnews All Rights Reserved



44 thoughts on “Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

  1. Avatar

    Am planning to apply for the express entry. Was wondering whether I need ed to evaluate all of my degrees or just the highest one I have obtained so far. I have got a Masters degree in nursing, BSc in nursing and a higher national diploma from high school in accounting. What do you all think please?
    Your reply will be highly appreciated.

  2. Avatar

    I have already been in pool Expres entry for almost a year now with 375 point but I don know what else can i do to improve my scores and how you office can support me on this .

  3. Avatar

    I am a p.Resedent &have aremoval order &right to appeal in montreal airport on Deceember 2013 when i return back to canada after a long visit to my husband who was sick in K.S.A(he has stroke ,on physiotherapy).
    My three adult sons are living in canada still P.Rs
    I have applied for citizenship on April 2013
    &i did withdrwal to my cit application when i have the removal order .
    Now the time for hearing is approach.I fraid too much to lose my status cauz of these reasons
    1- my sons are living&working here in
    canada &they are my sole cannot live away from them
    2-Iam syrian & can not go back to syria because of the war there &every day there is killing ,death &asylum
    3-my husband in K.S.A needs my help &support and he is also my sole .
    He lost his status in canada when he had his sickness in K.S.A
    I canot break my family or live away from my children .I love them & love sons trying to apply for visa to their father to visit us in canada
    Please guid me for not to lose my PR will be expired dnd of june 2017.
    Thank you for your help

  4. Avatar

    It was announced earlier that eligibility period for Citizenship period will be reduced to 3 years and law will be passed on June 01 Canada day but it is not done yet. When it is expected now.

We welcome your feedback

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.