CIC News > Latest News > Analysis > Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

Font Style

Font Size

David Cohen answers a range of Canadian immigration questionsEvery month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. These questions cover immigration programs, eligibility, processing, language requirements, investing in Canada, landing, admissibility, studying in Canada, working in Canada, and much more. Here are this month’s questions and answers.

1. I was born in Ghana, but I am an Italian citizen now. Can I apply for the eTA and what are the necessary documents I should submit?

Canada’s new electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) pre-clearance system is for visa-exempt travelers traveling by air. Whether an individual is exempt from the requirement to obtain a visa to enter Canada is determined by his or her citizenship. Italian passport holders traveling to Canada on an Italian passport are visa-exempt. Therefore, they need to apply for an obtain an eTA before traveling to Canada.

Individuals requiring an eTA in order to visit Canada are asked to fill out some personal information and answer a few basic questions relating to criminality or medical issues.

To complete the online form, you need:

  • a valid passport from a visa-exempt country,
  • a credit card to pay the $7.00 CAD fee,
  • a valid email address, and
  • access to the internet and a few minutes of your time.

Typically, no additional documentation is required. However, if the government of Canada requires any documentation from the individual on a case basis, the government will let that individual know what documentation is required.

2. Does Canada have a Green Card, like in the U.S.? If so, how can I obtain one?

Canada Green Card is a term that is used figuratively to describe permanent residence in Canada.

In the U.S. a United States Permanent Resident Card is popularly known as a Green Card, due to the colour of the card originally being green. Instead of a Canada Green Card, permanent residents of Canada have the right to a Canada Permanent Resident Card as proof of their Canada immigration status. A Canada Permanent Resident Card grants an individual the right to enter and live in Canada.

To find out if you are eligible to obtain Canadian permanent residence through one of the currently available immigration programs, please fill out a free online assessment form.

3. What is a “base” provincial nomination certificate?

Canada’s provinces and territories are able to make nominations under their regular, or “base”, Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) streams outside the Express Entry selection system. These PNP categories have eligibility criteria set by the provinces and territories.

Candidates who receive a base nomination have their applications processed outside of the Express Entry application management system. Candidates must first satisfy the criteria for a PNP stream, apply, and receive a nomination certificate. With this certificate in hand, candidates may apply to the federal government for permanent resident status. The federal government reviews the medical and security admissibility credentials of the applicant and his or her family, if applicable.

There are certain PNP streams that are “enhanced”. In contrast to the base streams, applications submitted through an enhanced PNP stream are processed within Express Entry.

© 2017 CICNews All Rights Reserved


93 thoughts on “Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

  1. Ugochi Marieth.

    I want to know if Canada government introduce visa lottery to some countries?

  2. Amr Mahdi

    Does an online diploma or certificate issued by a Canadian institute considered as a 2nd educational credential knowing that I do have a 5 years B.Sc. degree ?

  3. Marion Mehrtash

    My question might be erazed. How long in years would my family sponsor immigration take. Also, when, after filing date is usually an interview scheduled?
    I like to combine a visit with my family, check out the Condo / appartment investments. And hope to have my future ready when my PR arrives.
    I am a USA passport holder.

  4. Marion Mehrtash

    How long in years is it that I may consider a “Grandparent family sponsered immigration to take, to be reunited with my family?
    I am 75 years old or young if you will. Also, after submitting my sponsors and my application, how long would it take for an interview? I am living in France and like to join a family reunion on a USA passport and like to coinside an interview? My son should be able to have his part ready to file mid March this year.
    I hope to be granted a PR status.
    Thank you for your valuable info.
    Marion Mehrtash

  5. Muhammad Zubair

    Dear Sir, , I am a Pakistani citizens and I live in Karachi Pakistan.I have recently passed 14 years education in 2016.Now I want that I migrate to Canada because I have been working after 5th class with education but I have not developed till today so please you find me a Canadian citizens who provide to me visa sponcer with job because I am many field of skilled worker. , your sincerely

  6. carolina

    I’m Colombian, with a Bachelor Degree in preschool – elementary education and families, my husband knows about fiber optics we’re in USA and want to immigrate to your country whats the process can we apply for an express petition? under which choice?

  7. carolina

    hello Mr Cohen
    I would like to get the information about how to apply for visa or residence in our Country from USA
    and what are all the requirements to do so
    thanks for your prompt respond

  8. Wassim Elias

    Hi David,

    i’ve landed as an immigrant in 2015, and i am confused about the exact time (days) i need to spend before applying to passport issuing.

    Also i am confused about the time (date) that i need to accumulate to keep on my Permanent resident and to be able to renew it, in case i couldn’t reach the days i need for the passport process (time)

    Last, is their any exceptions regarding above subject!!

    Warm Regards,

  9. ahmed naser

    can I apply for permanent residency while studying as a postgraduate (MBA, MASTER….ETC)

  10. aween bukhari

    I m pakistani n lives in pakistan since my birth.
    plzz guide me how to apply for family immigration visa. me,my husband and 3 years son want immigration.What is the criteria abt family immigration?

We welcome your feedback

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.