Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

CIC News
Published: May 17, 2017

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. These questions cover immigration programs, eligibility, processing, language requirements, investing in Canada, landing, admissibility, studying in Canada, working in Canada, and much more. Here are this month's questions and answers.

1. Hi, in regards to Express Entry. If I have two results from IELTS, from separate test dates, will IRCC consider the highest scores from one test, or will they look for the highest for each module (highest for speaking, highest for listening, highest for writing and highest for reading)?

For the purposes of economic immigration to Canada, a single language test recognized by the government of Canada may be used to prove language ability. If an individual wishes to prove a higher language proficiency — for example, in order to become eligible for a program or increase a points total — he or she may re-take a test. However, that individual may not include scores from more than one test added together. The test results are taken into consideration in their entirety, from one test date.

2. Hi David, I need your input on something. I am an Indian national and I received my ITA in the last draw. I am in the process of readying my application but have a query regarding showing proof of funds. I have applied for a loan from a bank and I will receive the money by next week. But I read in different forums that taking a loan for the same is not approved. Is it so?

Applicants must ensure that they are fulfil the eligibility requirements of the program they are applying to. Federal Skilled Worker applicants without a job offer are required to prove that they have the required settlement funds.

Settlement funds must be available to you and transferable to Canada. They must be unencumbered by debts or other obligations. You cannot borrow this money from another person or entity and then claim it as an unencumbered asset.

3. I am a Brazilian citizen and want to fly to Canada later this year for tourism purposes. I read recently that some Brazilians will no longer need a visa. Do I need a visa?

As of May 1, 2017, some eligible citizens of Brazil are no longer required to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) if they are flying to Canada. Brazilian nationals who have held a Canadian visitor visa in the past 10 years, or who currently hold a valid United States visitor visa, must instead apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) in order to enter Canada by air for a short visit, generally of up to six months, such as for a business visit or a vacation.

However, travelers who do not meet these conditions are still required to obtain a TRV in order to travel to Canada.

© 2017 CICNews All Rights Reserved

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Top Stories
Returning to Canada: Immigration Checklist and best practices
Ontario, British Columbia, and Manitoba invite candidates in this week’s PNP results
Experts are telling Canadian residents to expect warmer winters in some parts of the country this year
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Life in Canada
Experts are telling Canadian residents to expect warmer winters in some parts of the country this year
Fresh snow on a cold and sunny winter day. Winter landscape. Sun rays reflecting on the snow.
Five things to do in your first week as a permanent resident or foreign worker in Canada
Family of mother with three kids hold large Canadian flag celebration in mountains
What is the Canadian school schedule during the winter?
Sunny morning with blue sky. Street is not plowed and many parked cars covered with snow. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
More rental homes are going to be built in Toronto, says Canada’s Deputy Prime Minister
Aerial view of family homes in residential neighbourhood showing trees changing color during fall season in Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Link copied to clipboard