Quebec shelves experience program changes that took effect November 1

author avatar
Stephen Smith
Published: November 8, 2019

Pour lire cet article en français, cliquez ici.

The Government of Quebec has suspended controversial changes to the Quebec Experience Program that took effect November 1. 

The province's immigration minister, Simon Jolin-Barrette, confirmed the suspension in a Facebook post Friday evening after media reports of the decision emerged.

The temporary suspension of the new rules followed a broad public outcry that earlier this week prompted Jolin-Barrette to exempt students and workers already living in Quebec.

The Quebec Experience Program, or PEQ, is a popular fast-track immigration program that allows eligible international graduates of Quebec schools and temporary foreign workers living and working in the province to apply for permanent residence selection.

The new rules would have limited those who can apply for selection through the PEQ to only those graduates in an eligible area of training and temporary foreign workers employed in an eligible in-demand occupation.

These restrictions did not exist prior to November 1 and would have disqualified many previously eligible students and workers in Quebec.

Public outcry led to suspension

The rules sparked a torrent of criticism from affected students and workers as well as universities and colleges and business leaders in the province.

The outcry led the government to first grandfather those already living in the province before moving this evening to temporarily suspend the changes pending a review of the lists governing the eligible areas of training and the occupations that are considered in-demand in Quebec.

In his Facebook post, Jolin-Barrette said the decision to temporarily suspend the changes is meant to reassure those in the academic and business communities, saying the lists in question "will be revised in collaboration with the actors concerned."

Earlier Friday, a Radio-Canada report identified numerous problems with the area of training list, including programs that never or no longer existed and others that prioritized Canadian citizens.

The decision to suspend the new PEQ rules was welcomed by universities and the Montreal Chamber of Commerce, which had questioned the move to limit PEQ applications.

On Twitter, Michel Leblanc, the chamber's president, said Quebec Premier François Legault "made the right decision," adding that international students "can now feel welcome in Quebec and in our businesses. Bravo!"

This is the second time this year that Jolin-Barrette has been forced to backtrack on immigration policy. In February, the CAQ's decision to cancel 18,000 pending applications to the Quebec Skilled Worker Program with immediate effect led to a court injunction that forced the government to continue processing the applications until the proposed legislation was passed into law.

© 2019 CICNews All Rights Reserved

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Related articles
Provincial nominees invited in surprise Express Entry draw
A view of Montreal at night time.
Why former PEQ candidates now have better PR options outside Quebec
A selection of provincial flags across Canadian provinces.
Canada holds largest category-based draw in Express Entry history
An image of a house on a frozen lake.
Number of top-scoring Express Entry profiles falls 30%
A boy looks out at the Calgary skyline.
Top Stories
Holding dual citizenship with Canada – what you need to know
Provincial nominees invited in surprise Express Entry draw
Canada is limiting the number of online passport renewals—here is how to get yours through
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
Subscribe
More in Citizenship
Holding dual citizenship with Canada – what you need to know
A picture of a Canadian passport in the pocket of a pair of jeans.
Canada is limiting the number of online passport renewals—here is how to get yours through
A close-up of a Canadian passport.
Two ways to get dual citizenship with Canada
A hand holds a Canadian passport to the camera, as other passports make up the background.
You may be eligible for expedited processing of your citizenship application — here’s how
A man standing outside, proudly holding up a large Canadian flag, smiling as it waves in the wind.
Link copied to clipboard