Can I visit Canada with a DUI?

Julia Hornstein
Published: September 6, 2022

Under Canadian immigration law, a conviction relating to operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol can render someone criminally inadmissible to Canada. A DUI is considered serious criminality

Schedule a Free Legal Consultation with the Cohen Immigration Law Firm

Drunk driving charges can be prosecuted under a variety of designations around the world. Examples of charges that can result from driving drunk include:

  • Driving Under the Influence (DUI)
  • Driving While Impaired (DWI)
  • Driving While Ability Impaired (DWAI)
  • Operating While Intoxicated (OWI)
  • Operating a Motor Vehicle While Intoxicated (OMVI)
  • Wet Reckless
  • Boating Under the Influence (BUI)

Canada will examine your criminal record which can include convictions, arrests, warrants and pending charges. What matters for the purposes of immigration to Canada is how your charge or conviction is translated under Canadian law, i.e., what the equivalent crime is under Canadian law.

Canada may allow you to enter into the country despite your DUI depending on the type of offense, the number of times you committed it, its severity and when you completed your sentence. For example, if it has been 10 or more years since the completion of your sentence, an inadmissible individual could be deemed rehabilitated as a result of the passage of time, though this solution is only available to those who have a single, non-serious conviction on their record.

Overcoming inadmissibility

Whether you are coming to Canada to visit, study, work or immigrate, you will have to resolve inadmissibility issues before being allowed into the country.

There are a few different methods of overcoming inadmissibility to Canada:

  • Temporary Resident Permit
  • Criminal Rehabilitation
  • Deemed Rehabilitation

Temporary Resident Permit

A Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) is an option for an individual considered criminally inadmissible as it grants temporary access to Canada for a certain period of time.

If it has been less than five years since the completion of the DUI sentence, you must apply for a TRP in order to enter Canada. In order to be granted the TRP, you must have a reason for coming to Canada and it must be determined that you will not be a threat to Canadian society.

If it has been more than five years but less than 10 years since the completion of your DUI sentence, an individual may be eligible for criminal rehabilitation.

Criminal Rehabilitation

The Canadian government offers the opportunity to submit a criminal rehabilitation application to permanently clear your past criminal history for the purposes of entering Canada. The criminal rehabilitation application is a one-time solution that does not require renewal. Upon receiving approval for criminal rehabilitation, an individual is no longer considered inadmissible and would not require a TRP for entry into Canada.

If it has been more than 10 years since the completion of a DUI sentence, you can be deemed rehabilitated.

Deemed Rehabilitation

It is important to note that deemed rehabilitation is not an option to any individual with a DUI that occurred after December 2018 due to the Canadian government strengthening penalties to impaired driving that year.

You may be eligible for deemed rehabilitation if you have been convicted outside Canada of a DUI, that if committed in Canada, would be equivalent to an indictable offence punishable by a sentence of less than ten years. You must also meet the following requirements:

  • Ten years have elapsed since the completion of your sentence;
  • You have not been convicted of any indictable offence or summary offence in Canada in the last ten years, or more than one summary conviction in the ten years before that; and
  • You have not been convicted outside Canada of an offence in the last ten years that, if committed in Canada, would constitute an indictable offence, or of more than one summary conviction in the ten years before that.

Schedule a Free Legal Consultation with the Cohen Immigration Law Firm

© CIC News All Rights Reserved. Discover your Canadian immigration options at

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Related articles
What is a Port of Entry letter?
Young smiling businesswoman holding digital tablet, check email, working online on the street
How does IRCC process Permanent Residence applications?
A stack of Canadian government documents waiting to be processed.
Five red flags to watch out for when choosing an immigration representative
Annoyed angry disappointed customers clients couple holding paper arguing with bank manager
Can a foreign national hold a valid study permit and work permit simultaneously?
student in headphones sitting at a desk studying at home in front of laptop computer
Top Stories
10 frequently asked questions by visitors to Canada
Comparing rental costs across Canada
Where in Canada can I settle: applicants selected by province or territory vs by the federal government
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Provinces
Where in Canada can I settle: applicants selected by province or territory vs by the federal government
From front to back the flags represent British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brusnwick, Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario provinces.
British Columbia and Manitoba invite provincial nominees
A picture of a Canadian flatland with mountains in the back.
Ontario releases 2024 PNP allocation; Three provinces nominate candidates in latest draws
Ontario will invite 21,500 candidates to apply for provincial nomination in 2024
Three provinces invite candidates in latest PNP results
A snapshot of the Canadian wilderness.
Link copied to clipboard