Five reasons to choose Canada – and TOEFL iBT® – for study abroad
You’re considering study abroad.
With all the opportunities abound, you might be wondering, where do I begin? One of the first decisions you’ll make is figuring out where you want to study. You may be looking into which country to study in, or which college or university to choose within a particular destination. If it’s the former, Canada is an excellent choice for your higher ed goals. Among the many things you can consider, here are just a few of the reasons why selecting the “Great White North” might be the best decision for you:
1) Student friendly policies. Canada offers generous part-time work hours for students (i.e., up to 20 hours a week during studies), in addition to a Post-Graduation Work Permits (PGWP) program that allows international students to work in Canada for up to three years after completing their studies. Other support for international students, like orientations and academic advising, are also available.
2) Affordable education. Compared to other popular destinations, Canadian education is often more affordable, putting less financial burden on students and their families.
3) Quality education. Canada is known for its world-class education system with a strong emphasis on research and innovation. Its universities consistently rank highly on global education rankings. In fact, 3 Canadian universities rank in the top 50 of the QS World University Rankings® 2024: Top global universities list.
4) Safe and culturally diverse environment. Canadian cities are multicultural hubs where students from all over the world can experience diverse cultures and traditions, fostering a global perspective. In addition, Canada is considered one of the safest countries in the world, known for its friendly and inclusive society. While it can be difficult adjusting in a new country, these attributes can make things that much easier.
5) Natural beauty. Stunning landscapes and beautiful national parks contribute to Canada’s unparalleled natural beauty. From Niagara Falls to the Canadian Rockies, there is much to explore and experience.
So, you’re sold on Canada as a study destination. Among the many decisions you’ll need to make next, is which English-language test you should take. It’s an important decision at that! With several options out there, which one should you choose? Our answer: TOEFL iBT®. Here’s why:
1) The TOEFL iBT test is now accepted for Canada’s Student Direct Stream (SDS), an expedited study visa processing program for students in Antigua and Barbuda; Brazil; China; Colombia; Costa Rica; India; Morocco; Pakistan; Peru; Philippines; Senegal; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; and Vietnam.
2) TOEFL iBT is accepted by 100% of Canadian colleges and universities.
3) TOEFL iBT is the world’s most respected and accepted English-language test, used by more than 12,000 institutions in more than 160 countries around the world.
4) The TOEFL iBT test is the premier measure of academic English-language proficiency, allowing you to showcase your skills with confidence.
5) The TOEFL iBT test implemented several exciting enhancements in July 2023, and is now the shortest English-language testing option among the three most popular options.
When it comes to making decisions about what’s next in your education journey, you can feel confident knowing that choosing Canada for your study destination, and TOEFL iBT for your English-language test, are excellent choices.