Quebec government pledges new funding to help businesses recruit temporary foreign workers

author avatar
CIC News
Published: August 27, 2019

Pour lire cet article en français, cliquez ici.

The Government of Quebec has announced nearly $55 million in funding to help in the recruitment and integration of temporary foreign workers.

The government's labour minister, Jean Boulet, said $20.9 million of that total will assist international recruitment efforts by businesses in the province.

Quebec is facing a labour shortage unseen in more than 40 years and currently has one of the highest job vacancy rates among Canada's provinces.

To meet their labour needs, a growing number of employers have been turning to temporary foreign workers since the start of 2018. That year saw temporary work permits issued for the province jump by 36 per cent over 2o17.

An analysis by CBC News shows this trend has accelerated since the October 2018 election of the province's new Coalition Avenir Quebec (CAQ) government, which introduced a temporary 20 per cent reduction in the number of immigrants admitted to the province this year.

Subsidies for recruitment, moving expenses

Among the initiatives announced August 26 are commitments to partially subsidize international recruitment efforts by businesses and cover up to $1,000 in relocation expenses for temporary foreign workers.

A news release from the province's ministry of labour said the funding will support nearly 2,000 Quebec businesses in their international recruitment efforts.

The remaining $33.9 million will go to two programs that work with temporary foreign workers to help them integrate into Quebec's labour market — the Programme d'aide à l'intégration des immigrants et des minorités visibles (PRIIME) and the Programme d'intégration en emploi de personnes formées à l'étranger référées par un ordre professionnel (IPOP).

"The recruitment of temporary foreign workers is an option that more and more businesses are turning to in their efforts to address labour shortages," Boulet said in a statement.

The minister said the new measures will help ensure that the integration of temporary foreign workers into Quebec's labour market is "positive and durable."

Quebec's CAQ government has faced criticism from business groups in the province for reducing immigration despite the mounting labour crisis.

In a brief filed with the government earlier this month, the province's chambers of commerce federation said Quebec needs about 60,000 immigrants per year — 20,000 more than the government plans on accepting in 2019 —in order to reduce labour shortages and spur economic growth.

Others have said that resorting to temporary foreign workers to fill the gaps is not a viable long-term solution to the fact Quebec's population is ageing and its labour pool is shrinking.

The CAQ government says its immigration policies will ensure immigrants are properly integrated and that those admitted meet existing labour needs in the province.

Find out if you are eligible for the Quebec Skilled Worker Program

© 2019 CIC News All Rights Reserved

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Related articles
Processing times climb for Express Entry, PNP applicants
Many people waiting in a line.
Provincial nominees invited in first Express Entry draw of May
A close-up of the balconies at the Canadian Museum of History in Gatineau Quebec.
Quebec invites more than 2,500 skilled workers across all PSTQ streams
A view of Montreal on a spring day.
The Express Entry pool is running lower on French speakers—what does it mean for other candidates?
A group of people enjoying the cherry blossoms at Trinity Bellwoods Park in Toronto.
Top Stories
IRCC’s latest update reveals Express Entry application backlog at all-time low
The top 11 mistakes that can derail a proof of Canadian citizenship application, according to a lawyer
Nova Scotia launches initiative to connect Express Entry candidates with job offers
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
Subscribe
More in Provinces
Nova Scotia launches initiative to connect Express Entry candidates with job offers
The province of Nova Scotia is issuing Notices of Interest to Express Entry candidates.
British Columbia issues more than 430 invitations to apply to high economic impact candidates
Aerial view of New Westminster, British Columbia, showcasing the city's skyline along the Fraser River on a clear day.
Newfoundland and Labrador’s second May draw sees over 180 candidates invited
View of Trinity, Newfoundland, from a hill overlooking colorful houses and the historic waterfront, with dark purple lupines and typical maritime flowers in the foreground.
New Brunswick holds multiple draws, issuing invitations to PNP and AIP applicants
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Link copied to clipboard