CIC News » 2016 » March » Changes to Canadian Citizenship Act Will Allow Immigrants to Apply Earlier and More Easily

Mar

2016

March, 2016

In a move that is likely to be of great benefit to immigrants to Canada who ultimately wish to obtain Canadian citizenship, the Liberal government of Canada has proposed a range of sweeping amendments to the Citizenship Act. These changes will allow people who have made the decision to immigrate to Canada to apply for and obtain citizenship sooner and more easily than is now the case.

Among the proposed amendments is a reduction in the amount of time permanent residents have to live in Canada in order to become eligible to apply for citizenship, from four out of six years to three out five years. Moreover, certain applicants who spent time in Canada on temporary status would be able to count a portion of this time towards the three-year requirement. The proposed amendments would also repeal the intent to reside provision and remove language proficiency requirements for certain applicants.

In addition, the new legislation would repeal a contentious provision that revoked citizenship from dual Canadian citizens convicted of terrorism, treason or espionage. With a majority government in place, it is expected that the proposals will become law in the near future.

Background

In June, 2014, the previous Conservative government of Canada brought into law the Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act (also known as bill C-24). This controversial legislation allowed the government to revoke citizenship in certain cases, and made eligibility requirements for immigrants more onerous than had previously been the case.

The now-governing Liberal Party of Canada, which came into office last November, made a public pledge in its election manifesto torepeal the unfair elements of Bill C-24 that create second-class citizens and the elements that make it more difficult for hard-working immigrants to become Canadian citizens.’

Only a few months into its term of office, the government is now acting on its word.

Canada encourages new immigrants to consider becoming naturalized citizens and join the Canadian family. With Canadian citizenship, an individual may obtain a Canadian passport, vote in elections, stand for public office, and leave and re-enter Canada freely without being beholden to the residency obligations faced by permanent residents.

What is changing?

The proposed changes to the Citizenship Act run the full gamut of the act, from how an individual may become eligible for citizenship to the rights bestowed once citizenship is conferred on the person.

Repeal of revocation provision

Current act: Authority to revoke citizenship for certain acts against the national interest of Canada. These grounds include convictions of terrorism, high treason, treason or spying offences, depending on the sentence received, or for membership in an armed force or organized armed group engaged in armed conflict with Canada.

Proposed amendment: Repeal national interest grounds for revocation.

Repeal of intention to reside provision

Current act: Applicants must have the intention to reside in Canada if granted citizenship.

Proposed amendment: Repeal intent to reside provision.

Physical presence in Canada

Current act: Physical presence for 4 out of 6 years before the date of application.

Proposed amendment: Physical presence for 3 out of 5 years before the date of application.

Counting temporary status

Current act: Time spent in Canada as a non-permanent resident may not be counted.

Proposed amendment: Applicants may count each day they were physically present in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person before becoming a permanent resident as a half-day toward meeting the physical presence requirement for citizenship, up to a maximum of one year of credited time.

Less burdensome annual physical presence requirement

Current act: Minimum of 183 days physical presence in 4 of the last 6 years.

Proposed amendment: Repeal the minimum 183 days physical presence in 4 of the last 6 years.

Fewer people need to prove language proficiency

Current act: Applicants aged 14-64 must meet language requirements and pass knowledge test.

Proposed amendment: Applicants aged 18-54 must meet language requirements and pass knowledge test.

Canadian income taxes

Current act: File Canadian income taxes, if required to do so under the Income Tax Act, for four taxation years out of six years, matching physical presence requirement.

Proposed amendment: File Canadian income taxes, if required to do so under the Income Tax Act, for three taxation years out of five years, matching proposed new physical presence requirement.

Conditional sentence now a bar

Current act: Time spent serving a conditional sentence order can be counted towards meeting physical presence requirements. Convicted individuals who are serving conditional sentence orders (sentences served in the community with certain conditions) are not prohibited from being granted citizenship or taking the oath of citizenship.

Proposed amendment: Time spent under a conditional sentence order cannot be counted towards meeting the physical presence requirements; and those serving a conditional sentence order are prohibited from being granted citizenship or taking the oath of citizenship.

Canadian citizenship oath

Current act: Provision prohibiting applicants from taking the oath of citizenship if they never met or no longer meet the requirements for the grant of citizenship, but does not apply to applications received before June 11, 2015.

Proposed amendment: Provision prohibiting applicants from taking the oath of citizenship if they never met or no longer meet the requirements for the grant of citizenship also applies to applications still in process that were received prior to June 11, 2015.

New provision to counter fraud

Current act: No explicit authority for citizenship officers to seize fraudulent documents related to the processing of applications.

Proposed amendment: Authority to seize documents provided during the administration of the Citizenship Act if there are reasonable grounds to believe they are fraudulent, or being used fraudulently.

A welcome return to common sense

“The day that C-24 became law, back in 2014, was a dark day in the history of Canadian immigration law and for Canada itself. It was a huge step backwards and effectively introduced two tiers of citizen — natural born and naturalized — while also making the pathway to citizenship far more convoluted than necessary,” says Attorney David Cohen.

“It is refreshing to see that the current government has brought forward these proposals, which I predict will become law before too long, so soon after taking office. We are back to a Canadian being a Canadian no matter what. We are back to telling foreign workers and international students that they can land in Canada and think of their long-term future here. We are back to seeing Canadian citizenship as a global responsibility, rather than as something that is so fixated on the person being physically present in Canada.

“Canadians are rightly proud of their citizenship and the status, rights, and freedoms that it provides. Long may that continue.”

To find out more about applying for Canadian citizenship in light of the proposed changes to the Citizenship Act, please send an email to citizenship@canadavisa.com. Please include information about your time as a Canadian permanent resident.

Non-permanent residents of Canada can learn more about Canadian citizenship by clicking here.

© 2016 CICNews All Rights Reserved

Mirafe Dagondon March 2, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Hi I was here Non Permanent Resident last May 12, 2009
My first holiday vacation May 1-23, 2012
Date of Permanent Resident: June 03, 2015
My second holiday vacation Sep 1-18, 2015
I am planning to stay in Canada for the rest of our lives
Please give us a free assessment. Thank you very much.

Ghaythaa hamdan March 2, 2016 at 10:55 pm

Hi. I would like to know when the repeal of bill C 24 will take place? Thank you in advance.

Freda March 2, 2016 at 11:06 pm

Wow! This is very good news for me. I’ve been in Canada 10 years and have always been a victim of unfavorable immigration law changes.

Now I can immediately apply for my Citizenship as soon as my PR comes through after years of waiting.

Thanks so much Canada Visa. God bless you mightily for this GREAT news *dancing*

Janice March 2, 2016 at 11:29 pm

Has there been any discussion on when this will be enacted?

Samba Badjie March 2, 2016 at 11:40 pm

I am once again proud to be part of this great nation. Canada is the only place i call home although am not yet a Citizen but looking forward to be as soon as the changes take effect. Am part of hundreds of thousands of immigrants who at one point are in limbo as to how we would fit or be part of this nation. I can’t express how jubilant I was when I received the news. Long live the Liberal Party, Long live the great people of this nation, Long live this great nation ……Canada

Milhim March 2, 2016 at 11:47 pm

It is an excellent news. The question is how long it would take to implement these amendments? Bill C-24 took more than a year!

Rajesh Antony March 3, 2016 at 12:29 am

Great news….any idea how soon and likely is the bill to pass

syeSyed March 3, 2016 at 2:06 am

Hi
Do you have anyidea when we can apply under new rules for citizenship.

rhazal sidi mohamed March 3, 2016 at 2:24 am

hi sir or madam Full name: Ghazal Sidi Mohamed
Age: 30
Gender : Male
birth date : 10/24/1985

from southern Morocco, the Sahara, Morocco colonized my country, more than 40 years,
I am tired of this life, here oppression and suffering, not here of human rights, i have no chance work in here, i love Canada since childhood , my dream to go to there, I like the work, I am an expert in any business, such as a mannequin, a carpenter, a security guard, a construction worker, a work well done, I have a degree in a technical information, i wish to accept my request, I want political asylum, my father and my mother dead my father dead since 2010, my mother dead since 2012, I’m all alone in this world, I wish, from my heart to accept my request, you the Widely considered

Md. Emran Hossain Bhiyan March 3, 2016 at 4:12 am

I want to apply for Canada Immigration from Bangladesh.

How you will hele me to apply.

Pls inform me.

NARAYAN -KUMAR KHADKA March 3, 2016 at 4:46 am

Dear sir
I would like to apply for the Canada for the job and permanently settlement .please support me to be there as soon as possible. I am the Nepalese citizen. by birth too i am Nepali.I have done bachelor in humanities. and working in my own educational consultancy as an executive director and I have the social work experience too.And my wife and me are living in capital city of Nepal. thank you.

Daniel Moroz March 3, 2016 at 6:48 am

Hello, its my 3rd year in Canada. Can ii apply for Canadian citizenship now?

Sarbast Ibrahim March 3, 2016 at 8:46 am

Hi
Good morning Mr David
I am Syrian family I would like to come Canada as refugee I hope to come to Canada
My best regards

Jatin chopra March 3, 2016 at 10:44 am

I have got visitor visa and I am travelling next week to canada,in future I am intrested for my family PR or work permit for me or both me and wife .what I can do which supports me in future such as short term course or any other.pls suggest.

afrim March 3, 2016 at 10:47 am

dear
i am interested to migrate to Canada, please advise me , how can i be permanent Canadian resident

AMNA BASHIR March 3, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Hi,,
This is AMNA BASHIR from Pakistan,I want to apply for immigration immediately as in the couple of comming months I will also get pass my IELTS exam,
I have completed my graduation in commerce and also have completed my Msc Economics.(16 years education).
Please guide me the procedure to apply for immigration.
Thanks and Regards,
AMNA BASHIR.

Dace Berg March 3, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Disallow 2 citizenships. THey seem to be the source of too many problems.

Marion Vermeersch March 3, 2016 at 1:58 pm

The adult children of my brother and me were all born in Canada, have lived here all their lives and are all you would want in Canadian citizens. However, because of having a parent born in wartime Britain and grandparents serving in the Canadian military throughout WWII, they also are entitled automatically to British citizenship. Therefore, under Bill C-24, their Canadian citizenship was downgraded to the more vulnerable status of a “second class citizen”. It was impossible to predict what further reasons for revocation might be used in future as well as whatever might be deemed “terrorism”. (We saw how that can happen when we had our own Canadian citizenship removed in 2004 for ridiculous reasons!). So we are very happy to hear that this situation will be resolved as the government moves to repeal that section of the Citizenship Act.

Thank you.

George Teah March 3, 2016 at 2:00 pm

Hi,my is George and I live Liberia. I want to be a Canadian Citizen, kind let me know the
process,procedures.I will appreciate it and start.

Zeinab khatoun March 3, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Good day

I would to move to canada wat papares or how can i immigrate am 29 yrs old and my husband 36 yrs and i have 3 children under 12 yrs

agbelusi kayode williams March 3, 2016 at 2:45 pm

I want to work and live in Canada

Meg March 3, 2016 at 3:46 pm

The other ongoing problem is visa and citizenship processing times. It’s pointless reducing the residency requirement if the processing time for routine applications is still around 18 months.

Trí Nguyen March 3, 2016 at 4:40 pm

I want to know , when the goverment is restore 22age from 19. Because I was born 18/12/1993. I can not to wait…please help me now

Ruzel Billena March 3, 2016 at 5:26 pm

I took the Citizenship exam dated Sept. 2015 but I didn’t passed Im short of 1point to pass the exam. Im still waiting if when Im gonna do the retake but until now I didnt receive any letter yet. Its been few months passed already. Hoping I can get the responce for my email
Thanks and have a Blessed Day!

Binder kaur March 3, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Dear sir , madam I would like to get work permit for Canada . I am chef and working in Uae. Since 5 year . Looking work permit. Is it any possibility to get any good act for forigen worker to get work permit easily . Thnk you

Chandra March 3, 2016 at 5:54 pm

When can we expect these new proposed rules to come in action . Thanks

Ravi shankar March 3, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Hello sir how r u I m ravi shankar from Pakistan &I want to migrate &work there I completed MSC (economics). &I have also three years experience in bank &others organization now I want to settle Canada plz give me path how can I apply.

Ali milad sharada March 3, 2016 at 7:38 pm

I am ground engineering B1 libyan special flight .I have licence ICAO falcon50 and falcon900 .for mintatance engineer aircraft.
I’m looking for new jobs please help me

Gustavo March 3, 2016 at 7:53 pm

I’ve been living in canada since 3 years ago, studing with a study permit. Do I have a chance? and my brother was studing for more than 6 months, can he applied when it approval ?

Dharminder March 3, 2016 at 8:28 pm

When this 3 out of 5 years rule change would be implemented

Nicolae March 3, 2016 at 10:23 pm

Hi i’m a moldavia citzen! But i live in italy abaut 11 ears Now! Ho i Can to emigrate in Canada with My wife ! We ha 26 and 25 years old

Toko Manu Emanue March 3, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Hi i will apply for canada visa but i don’t know how apply, i come from to angola please answear me

wadi March 4, 2016 at 12:44 am

Great news for me.When it will come into force

Jeanny destura March 4, 2016 at 12:54 am

I know it in my heart that when the LP will win the election , the rules will be lighten up in processing of citizenship . At last I me and my hubby can apply for it. It’s been more than 9 yrs long of wait. Thank you LP God bless .

anna oducado March 4, 2016 at 2:03 am

I came here in canada in 2009 February as a live in caregiver. and became a permanent resident on November 5, 2014. The immigration officer that granted me my permanent resident told me that I am eligible to apply for citizenship on november of this year. but with the current changes in the immigration law, I am not eligible to apply for citizenship until November 2018. When will be the new changes be effective? I really hope that this is really true and be effective very soon and will not be changed again.

Ramesh prasad sapkota March 4, 2016 at 2:42 am

I am an electrician looking for job.I am currently looking for work in electrical field.I have 7 years experience of working as an electrician and two years experience of diploma course.If there is any job suitable for me please consider about me.Thank you.

jay March 4, 2016 at 2:48 am

i was few days before i could apply for citizenship when the tories changed the laws :(
making me wait an extra 2 years, by the time these change the law back my time will be up
its all a joke to them
Mickey Mouse…..

Bukhari shah March 4, 2016 at 3:48 am

Dear sir,

I want to apply for canada immigration from pakistan.
How you will help me to apply. My qualification is Bsc, i have an experience of ten years about Road Research and material testing laboratory.

Please inform

Future March 4, 2016 at 9:35 am

Hi. Please, my name is Future; 24 years. I’m a Nigerian residing in my home country but would love to immigrate to Canada… please help me with the necessary information and help needed… God bless!

Syed Naqvi March 4, 2016 at 9:38 am

When these new rules implement

ryan cajefe March 4, 2016 at 10:33 am

Im so much interested to work because to my family and also two my kids for the future

May March 4, 2016 at 2:00 pm

Happy to learn about the new bill, hope it comes into force at earliest, So that what was promised to us when we entered canada is given. That is in 3 years one can apply for Citizenship, and not after 4 years. Students, Dual citizenship holders also will feel less insecure now.
Am really glad to be part of a progressive government.

Maryam March 4, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Hi sir or madam
It’s my 3years live in Canada I don’t know can I apply for citezenshup now?

Rachid March 4, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Rachid:
Age: 25
Gender :mal
birth date : 07/06/1990
from southern Morocco, the Sud, Morocco colonized my country, more than 25 years,
I am tired of this life, here oppression and suffering, not here of human rights, i have no chance work in here, i love Canada since childhood , my dream to go to there, I like the work, I am an expert in any business, such as a mannequin, a carpenter, a security guard, a construction worker, a work well done, I have expérience ,i wish to accept my request,

Melany March 4, 2016 at 7:25 pm

Hi. I’m glad that they’re proposing amendments to the Citizenship Act that would benefit immigrants like me. I just hope that they would also look into the processing time caregivers need to endure before they would be able to be with their family. I was a caregiver and had to work 2years before i was able to apply for permanent residency. Me and my husband waited another 4years before we were granted our permanent resident status. I almost lost our marriage because of being away from each other for a long time. That is why I’m hoping that they would amend it so no other caregiver would experience what i have gone through. Thank you.

muhyedin March 5, 2016 at 7:15 am

I like thanks canada government i am really happy hear good change 3 out of 5 years

NASSIMA RAHEM March 5, 2016 at 12:08 pm

DEAR,SIR i am awomen,i am 43,married,2 children,i am a early childhood educator ,i worked before in a cafeteria school and soon i will have my cuisine and gateaux diploma,my husband
is 54,he was a mathematics teacher,now he is working in metal transformation and production
(my son is studying science technology in the university,my daughter is in a college)
so please tell me if i have any chance and the easy and short way to go to canada,i am waiting for your answer as soon as possible

eliane KENNE March 5, 2016 at 7:46 pm

am called kenne and am 32yrs,I want to apply for immigration immediately as in the couple of comming months
I have completed my graduation in performing art and I want to settle Canada plz give me path how can I apply?
please help. GOD Bless

Mahreen March 6, 2016 at 7:47 am

When are the changes to citizenship act expected to happen.

An March 6, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Could you kindly let me know when the Bill C24 will be implemented?

Jean-Claude Moise March 6, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Hello Dear C.I.C Officers !
We’ve been in Canada since May 2008 my wife Marie-Lourdes and I as Claimant Refugee; we also have been admitted as Protected persons by a Court decision on Feb. 2011 and been issued our PR card 2 yrs later in 2013.
We both applied for citizenship in March 2014, but we had been refused for expired passports.

As we were over 60 and 55 yrs, will we be able to reapply and will not have to take the test?

Will we be able of paying the same amount of $630.00 for fees ?

With Regards, Jean-C. Moise and wife Marie-Lourdes

Ahmad Almasri March 6, 2016 at 5:14 pm

Hello
I am a geophysicist, researcher and author of my new research in creativity and the essence of the mind, thinking, and a book about the role of money and sex Crown three children high achievers in the School of Dentistry at the scientific baccalaureate In the tenth grade science secondary wife and employee ask for immigration to Canada because I lost my house as a result of the ongoing conflict in Syria, I hope ASSENT
with sincere thanks
Ahmad

J El sawah March 6, 2016 at 8:04 pm

When the new law will be applicable for citizenship application?

Enamul Haque March 7, 2016 at 6:00 am

Yifru Beyene March 7, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Thank you Canada for the hard work being done. Thanks to the Liberal Party of Canada. I am not sure if it is because of Bill C24 or not, I know a great Refugee Claimant who is still granted work permits for the last 15 years working in Canada. I know this person here and his family back in his Country of Origin, in East Africa. I am sure that this individual have nothing to do with being a risk to Canada. He is one the peaceful and hard working persons you could ever meet. He has been separated from his spouse and children for the last 15 years as our Immigration system failed to accept him as a permanent resident. As a result of the evolving laws and immigration system, I hope this man would be reunited with his spouse and children as permanent residents in Canada. From a settlement counselor.

manpreet singh March 8, 2016 at 3:01 am

Hello my name mp and we came in canada in march 2o14 when we can eligible for apply for the citizen ship

Geedi March 8, 2016 at 5:35 am

Good morning

I visited Canada in May 2012 and stay for 3 months and again in August 2014 for 4 months and again I visited in 2016 to stay completely. but due to some family problem back home I have to go back for at least one year.

Can it be possible and if so can you be advice me as my PR expire in June 2017. I am staying with my family and I want to leave my family but it is very difficulty no one is there to take care here

please reply me thanking you

Imran March 8, 2016 at 5:38 am

Hello everyone, open your eyes….this article is for Canadian Citizenship for Canadian Immigrants who are already in Canada.

If you want to come to Canada then go to CIC website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp and explore it by yourself or hire a lawyer if you can’t do documentation by yourself.

Sujith Manjooran March 8, 2016 at 9:50 pm

If this is true, I will vote for Liberals

Seth March 9, 2016 at 5:22 am

Please I would like to know how this new ammendment helps international students get their permanent residence permit?

rajanika6 March 11, 2016 at 4:55 pm

I live at canada as pr Feb 2013to till date I am eligible for citizens application and what about English language documents need it

nher March 11, 2016 at 11:04 pm

thank God for these new set up the last time was not good, been here for ten years and not counted, and 55 yrs. old need to take exam, thats not good, thanks LP, you’re such a blessing for easy welcoming us here in Canada, We love this country, hope this will take effect soon!. God bless and more power!

Mp March 13, 2016 at 6:34 am

When dose new amendments go live related c 24
Thanks!!

Farah malik March 17, 2016 at 3:15 am

“SUNNY DAYS”. A big thanks to LP for this relief !!!!!!

ashraf March 18, 2016 at 7:26 am

Im from palestain I would like to move and live in Canada, what I have to do,

hamza khalefa March 18, 2016 at 9:22 am

Geedi March 19, 2016 at 6:30 am

When dose new amendments go live related c 24
Thanks!!

Asif khan March 19, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Dear immigration.
I hope this letters finds you in good health So nice to see immigrant visas.. I am very anxious to visit Canada. Hope I will get the chance to come to Canada and show my efforts. I am working in the village as a gents tailor and fruit bussiness i am from igatpuri disrict t nashik.. I am originally from india .
Best of wishes. Regards from Asif Khan
Read more at http://www.cicnews.com/2016/03/ircc-addresses-hierarchy-issue-express-entry-candidates-eligible-multiple-programs-037348.html#comment-53520#fb3uDo58zr4FbFRA.99

Syed Rizvi March 19, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Bill previously took 3 years to implement. I completed my 3 years unluckily on June 18 2015 and was unable to apply. Hope to repel C24 it will implement in much lesser time

Good Luck to All

Thanks – Syed

Imran Khan March 22, 2016 at 6:46 pm

When the proposed amendments will become law?

Akpalla March 23, 2016 at 3:38 pm

When dose new amendments related to c 24 will go live

Maria Claudia Torres March 24, 2016 at 2:56 am

Good Evening. Do you know how long will take the repeal of Bill C24?
Thanks in advance.

Maria Claudia Torres

Eliza March 27, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Hi
My Husband Mohammadreza Emami who is permenant resident and main applicant lost his pr card and more last July in Istanbul( those were stolen)
He repoted to VAC and filled all forms
He couldn’t back to canada yet after 9 month and lost lots of money and his time.
He sent email every other month, contact CIC and finally he had to spend more money to take a lawyer in this regard.
After 3 month more we do not recieve any respond. Its sounds so weird, Me and my son who is university student are faced so many big problem here. Is cic cares about proffessional people who left their job and family back and try to come into canada . What happened to promissed reunion policy of government? Please let me know what is going to happen to my husband pr card?my son is studying here and is it logic to pose him this much of stress?
I hope to get your reply to help us to get to gether
Regards

Regards

Manpreet sidhu March 27, 2016 at 8:23 pm

When new rules come in action for Canadian citizenship ( 3 years out of 5) thnx

Phillip Dyrt March 28, 2016 at 4:34 pm

It would be interesting to find out how many Express Entry ITA applications submitted are rejected as a percentage of total submissions.

mariano montenegro March 28, 2016 at 7:43 pm

this is really good news, looking forward to it. we will apply for our citizenship when this amendment took effect. thank a lot to the new administration, more power to all of you.

AN March 30, 2016 at 10:43 am

This comments are hilarious :)

Abida Sultana Mazhar April 3, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Sir now I have completed more then required time to apply for Citizenship, I am Anxious to
know when is the new policy be implemented, I am Thankful to Great Liberal Party for reverting
to the old policy, and come up to its promise,The Dark days and anti immigrant policy of Conservatives are over now. LONG LIVE LIBERALS

Arvindbhai Patel April 4, 2016 at 4:04 pm

I would like to know when the new rules will implement

Nader Tawfik April 5, 2016 at 3:48 am

hi ,

I have completed 3 years and 7 months now , am i elegible to apply for citizenship now ? or when the new rules will implement ?

Vilma April 5, 2016 at 2:41 pm

This is great news! when the changes will be effective?
Thank you!

Sarah April 10, 2016 at 2:38 am

This is exhilarating news !!
Does anyone know any feedback with regard to the days spent before an application is submitted ?

Jackson Sia April 11, 2016 at 12:21 am

Hi. Me and my family are eligible to apply for Canadian Citizenship. All of the changes are good but I would like to know if the present government will lower the fee for the application.

varsha modi April 12, 2016 at 1:24 am

Sir, I have passed citizenship knowledge test in april 2015, but due to english language level was not matching as per office and application for citizenship was not approved. So now i am doing link class but now due to amendement again by mr trudedo govt after 54 year language test will not require ? Today i have finished 54 year so what should i do should i apply again with new fee or automatically gove will considerrr with new rule amendments of act ?

please guide me what should i do and when should i get message from immigration depts ?

Thanks for sparing time to read our problem and waiting for your guidance earliest .

Varsha Modi

Gazi Shahjahan April 12, 2016 at 8:42 am

David M April 13, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Good morning,
I was wondering when this will be effective??

*Physical presence in Canada

*Counting temporary status

*Less burdensome annual physical presence requirement

Current act: Minimum of 183 days physical presence in 4 of the last 6 years.

Read more at http://www.cicnews.com/2016/03/canadian-citizenship-act-immigrants-apply-earlier-easily-037352.html#DIF7EMogzZLJGLzP.99

Manpreet sidhu April 17, 2016 at 6:45 pm

Hi, I want to know when the new law (3 years out of 5) will be applicable for citizenship?

anonymous April 18, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Hello CIC, and thank you for the promising news in this article.
If implemented quickly, it will help a lot of hard working, tax paying individuals, who are eagerly waiting to cross the finish line by obtaining Canadian citizenship, to finally call Canada their permanent home! Please let the public know exactly when these changes will be put into place, especially pertaining to time counted towards residency requirements, and counting of half the time on work permit. I am one of thousands who lost 100% of my work permit time spent, in spite of having paid taxes, and becoming fully integrated in Canadian society. This has added 2 years to my waiting time. 2 years added to fulfilling opportunities in business and progress in life. I urge you, on behalf of millions, to please expedite the implementation of these new changes, without further delay. Thank you once again, and please accept our sincere thanks, and gratitude in advance.

Ayman musaki April 19, 2016 at 1:07 am

When can we expect these new proposed rules to come in action . Thanks

Mehrzad Farmahin April 22, 2016 at 9:41 pm

I am very happy and excited . It is a very good news. I hope the new law approve soon.

Ayesha Adeel April 25, 2016 at 2:52 am

Hi I want to know when this rule will come in action?i am a permanent resident and here in Canada from June 2013.please reply me

Hamed April 28, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Hi, Can you please advice when this changes comes to an effect?
I’m in my 4th years in CA and waiting to apply for my citizenship.

Thanks.

Mohammad Fadaei April 30, 2016 at 11:56 am

Emad May 1, 2016 at 7:25 pm

I want to know when this rule start in action

Enrico Carencia May 2, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Hello. Sounds good. When the repeal of bill C-24 will be implemented? And how much is the fee per applicant? Thanks so much.

Tahidul Hoque May 3, 2016 at 3:47 pm

What will actually Change? whose are included to the new rules? Already they are residing in Canada as Student/ Temporary / hv PR card.
Or, newly come to Canada as FSW/FST/other processing…….

Warren D'souza May 4, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Hello,

Please advise when this new change will be effective?

Hello,

Please advise when the new changes would come into effect, especially the below.

*Physical presence in Canada

Warren.

Grace May 4, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Hi David. .

Kindly advise me the time period for citizenship? ?? Is it 3 years? Or 4 ?

Grace

Majeed May 7, 2016 at 2:00 am

HI
I completed 3 years as permanent resident in Canada, please inform me if I can eligible to apply to get Canadian passport specially I landed in Canada in 2011 and the regulation was 3 years in Canada to take the Canadian pasdport, please to reply me
Regards
Mageed

Rock Star May 7, 2016 at 7:25 pm

Do we know if there is any progress on the Repeal of Bill C-24 or any tentative date to revert it back.

Faris May 12, 2016 at 1:39 am

Hi,i have a question about the citizenship and a was just asking that do I have to apply for level 4?

Amy May 13, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Can you please let us know when is the new bill-24 will kick in?

Roy May 14, 2016 at 5:24 pm
ANUPAM KUNDU May 14, 2016 at 5:36 pm

I am from Bangladesh. I am studying MBA in India. I want to immigrate Canada. I have work experience. I want to go to Canada for working. How can I proceed..
Please inform me.

LIAKAT ALI PARPIA May 16, 2016 at 9:59 am

Hello,

Please advise when this new change will be effective.

Thanks & Regards.

Tokon May 17, 2016 at 8:19 pm

When the new change will be effective?

DESPERATE TO MIGRATE TO CANADA May 18, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Please why does it seem there is pause in FSW2014 application? my application got to CIC ion 23rd December 2014 and up until now, i have not been called for medical while EE applicants are being attended to. so frustrated.

john June 2, 2016 at 3:42 pm

hi, when will this new changes will be enacted? many thanks.

john June 2, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Hi, when will this new changes be enacted? many thanks.

Thabet megaly June 5, 2016 at 12:52 am

do you have any idea when this will be active?

dany cruz June 9, 2016 at 11:42 am

Does someone know when is it going to pass? June 9th today, and still nothing. Any info will be really appreciated. Thanks

Axmed June 13, 2016 at 9:19 am

Hi I’m from Somalia, i want to came Canada and to live, when i was a young i always dream to life in Canada but no one can help me to get that dream, i don’t have much money but i like to be one of Canadian citizen Bcuz i always proud it, Please help me to be Canadian citizen.
Email.

Anonymous June 18, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Good one!

Suzan June 20, 2016 at 3:45 pm

When?

K.Sultan June 22, 2016 at 3:00 pm

When the implementation of this act is expected?

rafishaik June 23, 2016 at 1:03 am