Q & A: Returning Resident Permit

CIC News
Published: December 1, 1998

Q. Has anybody (i.e., any landed immigrant) received RRP for receiving a paid practical training in the US ? I want to know what to do in order to receive RRP while working to gain some paid vocational training (while on PT), and gain some experience in the US.

Answer: Recently, the immigration Department has adopted an apparent policy of refusing RRP applications in cases where the applicant as not been resident in Canada for a sufficient period of time, even in the presence of demonstration of ties established to Canada. This often applies where
individual land in Canada and return to their country of previous residence to continue working or studying.

Although the refusal of the RRP does not remove status from the applicant, such a refusal may be held against the applicant upon subsequent return to Canada. In some cases therefore, it may not be to the applicant's advantage to apply for the RRP.

If you do choose to apply for the RRP, demonstration of any ties that you have established to Canada should be demonstrated, along with evidence of the employment, and its duration.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Top Stories
Ontario and British Columbia invite candidates to apply for provincial nomination
7 apps to prepare for your move to Canada
Helpful advice for newcomers landing in Canada: A post-arrival checklist for newcomers to Canada
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Sponsor Content
Helpful advice for newcomers landing in Canada: A post-arrival checklist for newcomers to Canada
When you arrive, you will have to go through a process to confirm your identity.
Studying in Canada? Get Support with Increased Awards from the CAEL Scholarships!
As a test explicitly designed to measure students' English language proficiency in an academic context, CAEL is one of the most effective assessments for identifying individuals with the skills needed for success at Canadian universities and colleges.
How Pre-Arrival Services Help Immigrants to Canada Even Before They Arrive
Planning for Canada Team
TD Bank Group and Cricket Canada announce new sponsorship
TD will be the official bank of Cricket Canada’s national teams and help support Cricket Canada as it works to build Canada's vibrant cricket-loving community.
Link copied to clipboard