Q & A: Employment for Girlfriend/Spouse

CIC News
Published: May 1, 2000

Q. A Canadian IT-company has made a job offer which will allow me to get a temporary working permit for Canada. As I (only) want to go together with my girlfriend, the question is if she would be eligible to work as well? If not, would she be allowed to work if we would be married?

Answer: Your girlfriend would not be automatically eligible to work in Canada, although she may apply for her own employment authorization. If married, then she may be eligible for an employment authorization on the basis of your position, if it is one of the Highly Skilled Professions defined under the Spousal Pilot Project.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Top Stories
Ontario, British Columbia, Quebec, Manitoba, Alberta, and New Brunswick invite candidates in latest provincial immigration results.
Express Entry’s Targeted Occupations: How Many Transport Workers Does Canada Really Need?
Canada’s government proposing new affordability measures
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Life in Canada
Canada’s government proposing new affordability measures
Canada is introducing legislation to improve affordability.
Parental education and income have positive effect on educational attainment of childhood immigrants
Graduation celebration with family
Newcomer access to credit in Canada improves over time, according to new study
newcomer credit article september 2023
Getting your prescription medication as a newcomer to Canada
pharmacist and client
Link copied to clipboard