Q & A: Canadian Taxation Issues

CIC News
Published: October 1, 2000

Q. Once working in Canada, we are taxed on our world incomes?

Do we have a refund if we have children? Or they would have free access to school without paying further fees for this education?

What do we have to do to be taxed only in Canada and not in the country we are leaving ?

Answer: You have asked as to whether a “refund” is available with respect to your children in calculating your income taxes payable in Canada. The Canadian federal income tax system does not offer any reimbursements or refunds with respect to dependents of a taxpayer. Certain of the provinces may, however, give such credits. Canada does provide other non-tax benefits to low-income families in the form of child tax benefits and family allowances. In addition, the public school system throughout Canada is generally free of charge.

You have also asked what steps must be executed in order to be taxed only in Canada and not in the country in which you are currently living.

In order to be taxable in Canada, it is necessary to become a resident of Canada for tax purposes. Whether someone has become a resident, and the date on which he so becomes resident, is generally a question of the facts involved. While you may become resident in Canada for the purposes of Canadian domestic tax laws, it does not necessarily mean that you have ceased to reside or be taxable in your former jurisdiction. You should consult a tax advisor where you reside in order to determine how to end your taxation in that area. Additionally, one must consider whether Canada has a tax treaty with your former jurisdiction as the tax treaty may determine that in fact you are taxable in Canada and not in the previous jurisdiction.


The nature of this facility is to provide a general response to a general question. Under no circumstances should anyone act on this information without obtaining analysis and counsel from a qualified advisor with respect to the specific situation.

Phillip Nadler, CA
Richter Usher & Vineberg

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Top Stories
Can I be a dual citizen if I immigrate to Canada?
From work to study: How Americans can begin their Canadian journey
8 Tips for the Listening Component of your CELPIP Test
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Sponsor Content
8 Tips for the Listening Component of your CELPIP Test
When the time comes to take your CELPIP Test, listen carefully to the recordings.
Helpful advice for newcomers landing in Canada: A post-arrival checklist for newcomers to Canada
When you arrive, you will have to go through a process to confirm your identity.
Studying in Canada? Get Support with Increased Awards from the CAEL Scholarships!
As a test explicitly designed to measure students' English language proficiency in an academic context, CAEL is one of the most effective assessments for identifying individuals with the skills needed for success at Canadian universities and colleges.
How Pre-Arrival Services Help Immigrants to Canada Even Before They Arrive
Planning for Canada Team
Link copied to clipboard