CIC News > Latest News > Q & A: Medical History

Q & A: Medical History

Font Style

Font Size

Q. Our family just passed the interview and is going to have our medical exams. But my son got a kind of cancer two months ago and is in remission. He lost almost all hairs. Do you have any idea about my case?

Is it possible for our family pass the requirement of the medical exams? Or I can leave my son with his grandparents. Regarding that all of us
apply the immigration together before, what I have to do for this choice? Should I have a letter for the officer in the immigration office?

Answer: There is a serious risk that a condition as serious as cancer, although in remission, would be grounds for medical inadmissibility.

We have had only one client whose child had a condition of this nature, and it had been in remission for numerous years. Despite this evidence and testimonials from specialists stating that the condition was unlikely to resurface, the decision of the Medical Officials was that the case was inadmissible on medical grounds.

Additional information on this topic may be found at Campbell, Cohen’s web site at the following URL:

When a dependent is found medically inadmissible, the entire application would be refused. Only a legal adoption of the child may be able to prevent that.

The immigration officials do not make medical decisions. You may provide documentation in support of your child’s health to the Designated Medical Practitioner, who would pass it on to the Medical Officer. You would typically also be given a chance to provide additional evidence after the initial review of the medical results.



One thought on “Q & A: Medical History

  1. Avatar


    We have received the final letters for the PR and need to go for the medical tests. My wife was diagnosed with a tumor in her right lung and after a biopsy it was removed. She now has to take an injection once a month for 6 months after which a CT scan will be done.

    My question is can I give the reports to the Medical officer and have the tests done for my family?

We welcome your feedback

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.