Feds retreat on immigration rules

CIC News
Published: March 1, 2002

OTTAWA -- The federal government will refund 70,000 would-be immigrants $70 million in application fees they paid to come to Canada, Immigration Minister Denis Coderre said yesterday.

In making the announcement, the newly appointed minister backed down from controversial new immigration rules imposed by his predecessor, Elinor Caplan.

Coderre said he expects the refund decision, along with new rules governing the point system that grades would-be immigrants based on their qualifications, will send a signal to the world that Canada welcomes skilled workers.

The point-system rule change maintains the passing grade for foreigners who want to come to Canada at 70 points out of 100 rather than 80.

Points are given for age, education, experience, language and adaptability.

Coderre said he maintained the lower score for now because it's fairer to those already in the system, but he added he's prepared to overhaul the criteria of the point system in the future.

The refunds apply to those would-be immigrants who submitted their applications before December 17.

The rule change, which in effect maintains the old criteria, will only be in effect until June, at which time the passing grade will be increased to 80.

The refund and the rule change address several complaints - many raised by Liberal MPs in multicultural ridings - that the new Immigration Act passed last fall makes it much more difficult to become a landed immigrant.

Critics argued the law changed the ground rules for applicants who had already paid non-refundable processing fees of $500 per adult and $100 per child. They said it was particularly offensive considering there is a backlog of about 220,000 applicants in the system and accused the government of changing the rules to reduce the backlog.

Immigration lawyer Lorne Waldman said the changes are significant.

"I think they realized, given the vehemence of the response both in the caucus and in the public, that they couldn't change the rules retroactively without notification," said Waldman.

"They were on very weak ground. This is a major backtracking."

Liberal MP Steve Mahoney, chairman of the Commons immigration committee, lauded the changes as "a first step" but said "there's still some surgery that needs to be done" in the selection criteria.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Top Stories
Frequently asked questions about visas for students, workers and tourists coming to Canada
Ontario and British Columbia invite candidates to apply for provincial nomination
7 apps to prepare for your move to Canada
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
Subscribe
More in Life in Canada
7 apps to prepare for your move to Canada
Image of users holding mobile phones in both hands
Debunking four myths about life in Canada 
Mother using smart phone while taking selfie with her children at home.
Am I eligible for IRCC settlement services as a temporary resident?
Group of young people sitting at table reading books.
Recent policies that may make home ownership more affordable for eligible newcomers to Canada
Houses in construction in a housing development on a clear autumn day
Link copied to clipboard