Q & A: Post-Graduate Experience

CIC News
Published: August 1, 2002

Q. A spouse of a PhD international student at the U of Toronto, with MS in Math from the US and NO previous work experience, got a full-time teaching job in a private school (open EA, no HRDC validation) in Toronto starting September 2002. Would this person be eligible to apply for PR now or only after the completion of the first year of work? Are teachers eligible to immigrate at all? Would this qualify as an "arranged employment" and give extra points?

Answer: A minimum of one year of work experience is considered a prerequisite
for eligibility in the Skilled Worker program. Any post-graduate
research or teaching experience may also be considered valid, however.

Assuming that the employment authorization was granted under the E08 exemption, it does not appear that it would meet the definition of
Arranged Employment, as it would not be valid for at least 12 months
after the date of the application.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Top Stories
Canada announces measures to help individuals impacted by the ongoing crises in Haiti
British Columbia and Manitoba issue provincial nominations in latest PNP results
Canada’s immigration minister proposes new legislation for Canadian citizenship by descent
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Citizenship
Canada’s immigration minister proposes new legislation for Canadian citizenship by descent
Immigration Minister Marc Miller has introduced legislation to update Canada's citizenship laws.
Canada celebrates Citizenship Week 2024
Canada is marking its annual citizenship week.
Canada processing proof of citizenship applications faster than pre-pandemic standards
A father and son at a Canada day parade, surrounded by Canadian flags
Study: Fewer recent immigrants are seeking Canadian citizenship
Young family with children having fun in nature on a picnic
Link copied to clipboard