Criminal Record: Check criminal record before checking out Canada

CIC News
Published: October 1, 2004

A traveler was surprised recently when he was denied entry from the United States into Canada. The reason: Four years ago, he was convicted in the United States of driving under the influence of alcohol.

"I was put on the next plane back home. Sad, humiliating, and I think ridiculous," says the man, who asked that his name not be used.

Actually, most countries bar foreign visitors with criminal records for some period of time. But each country has widely differing rules on what qualifies as a serious enough infraction to bar the door.

Canada's rules generally apply to any indictable criminal offense, including drunken driving and shoplifting - offenses they can find on various criminal databases. Last year, Canadian officials refused admittance to 17,841 foreign visitors because of their criminal records, said immigration spokesman Jean-Pierre Morin.

But he adds that his country allows for rehabilitation. A foreign national with a single offense is deemed rehabilitated after 10 years. If at least five years have passed since your crime, you might be able to apply for rehabilitation by filling out a form; decisions are made on a case-by-case basis at the Canadian consulate. Details:

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Top Stories
IRCC increases number of permits it will process under temporary special measures for Palestinian extended family in Gaza
What kind of school should I apply to as an international student in Canada?
How to Avoid a Rejected Educational Credential Assessment
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Sponsor Content
How to Avoid a Rejected Educational Credential Assessment
If Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) rejects your ECA your immigration process could be delayed. Keep reading to learn how to avoid a rejected ECA.
How to improve your IELTS Score?
A woman is with an examiner from the IELTS test.
Banking for International Students: A Helpful Guide to Picking the Right Bank Account and Credit Card in Canada
There are two main types of personal deposit accounts that international students can open in Canada: chequing and savings.
Know You Are Prepared: 10 Essential Strategies for Success on CELPIP – the Only Canadian Test Designated by IRCC
If you’re applying to become a permanent resident or citizen of Canada, taking the CELPIP Test is an essential step toward your goal because it is one of the approved language tests and the only Canadian functional language assessment designated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Link copied to clipboard