Update: Foreign Student work initiatives

CIC News
Published: May 1, 2005

Off-Campus Work

Since announcing expansion of the off-campus work program, which allows foreign students to work off-campus while completing their studies at public post-secondary institutions, many individuals have been wondering how the Government will implement the program.

In last month’s announcement, CIC and HRSDC promised to build upon the existing program, which applies to students studying at institutions in provinces that have signed agreements with CIC. These provinces include Manitoba, New Brunswick, and Quebec.

The new program commits the Government to negotiating with each of the provincial authorities so that students across the country in all provinces and territories will be able to work off-campus during their studies.

Post-graduation employment

The new post-graduation work program will give students the opportunity to work for up to two years in Canada after graduation, instead of only one year.

The post-graduation work permit is issued to new grads for employment in their field of study. Interested foreign students should apply within 90 days of confirming that they have met the requirements of their program and while their study permit is still valid.

Graduates can qualify whether or not they completed a degree, a diploma or a certificate program, so long as the graduated from a post-secondary institution authorized by provincial authorities.

The second year of authorized work in Canada is available to students who completed at least two years of full-time study in Canada before graduating. Otherwise, a one-year post-graduation work permit is still possible.

New graduates are eligible for the second year so long as they both found employment and graduated from an institution outside of the metropolitan areas of Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

Students wishing to undertake post-graduate or off-campus employment still require a work permit. However, they will be able to qualify for one without having to obtain a labour market opinion from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Top Stories
Ontario, British Columbia, Quebec, Manitoba, Alberta, and New Brunswick invite candidates in latest provincial immigration results.
Express Entry’s Targeted Occupations: How Many Transport Workers Does Canada Really Need?
Canada’s government proposing new affordability measures
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Life in Canada
Canada’s government proposing new affordability measures
Canada is introducing legislation to improve affordability.
Parental education and income have positive effect on educational attainment of childhood immigrants
Graduation celebration with family
Newcomer access to credit in Canada improves over time, according to new study
newcomer credit article september 2023
Getting your prescription medication as a newcomer to Canada
pharmacist and client
Link copied to clipboard