Question & Answer

CIC News
Published: June 1, 2005

Question: What happens if I get married after I have submitted my application for a permanent resident visa?

Answer: You must immediately notify the Canadian Visa Office in charge of your file. What happens next depends upon the stage you are at in the application process.

If your application has not yet been finalized (visa not issued) you must add your spouse to your application as your dependent (accompanying or not). Your spouse will need to submit the appropriate forms, government fees, if accompanying, and undergo a medical examination and a background check.

If your application has been finalized (visa issued) but you have not yet landed in Canada as a permanent resident, you cannot add your spouse to your application. Nor can you land in Canada alone and sponsor your spouse at a later date. Rather, you must return your permanent resident visa to the Visa Office and you will have to submit an entirely new application for permanent residence in Canada, including your spouse as a dependent in your new application. So, if you have received your Canadian permanent resident visa and are planning to get married, you would be well advised to land in Canada before your marriage. You can then get married and as a permanent resident you will be entitled to sponsor your spouse.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Top Stories
Financial Planning Basics for New Canadians – The importance of budgeting and cash flow management
How does IRCC choose sponsors through the Parents and Grandparents Program?
Can I be a dual citizen if I immigrate to Canada?
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Citizenship
Can I be a dual citizen if I immigrate to Canada?
family with kids boy and girl standing in park and holding large Canadian flag
IRCC introduces interim measure allowing some foreign nationals to gain Canadian citizenship faster
Two young adults, male and female, with backpacks, enjoying time together during a hike on a beautiful sunny spring day.
Canada’s immigration minister proposes new legislation for Canadian citizenship by descent
Immigration Minister Marc Miller has introduced legislation to update Canada's citizenship laws.
Canada celebrates Citizenship Week 2024
Canada is marking its annual citizenship week.
Link copied to clipboard