CIC News > Latest News > Question & Answer

Question & Answer

Font Style

Font Size

Q: I have submitted my application for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Worker category. I have since left my employment and have started my own business. Will this affect my application status, and how?

A: Quitting your current job may or may not affect your application for Permanent Residence. To qualify under the Skilled Worker category you need to score at least 67 points according to certain selection criteria.

Work experience is one of the criteria and up to 21 points are available for having completed 4 years of full-time paid work in certain occupations within the last 10 years. If you have already completed 4 years of work within the last 10 years then it will make no difference that you are no longer employed.