CIC News > Latest News > Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

Font Style

Font Size

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. Here are this month’s questions and answers:

My temporary visa application was rejected because I could not prove that I would leave Canada after my stay. What can I provide to convince them that I have no intention to stay in Canada permanently?

Without knowing the background of your case, it is difficult to provide meaningful guidance. In a general sense, visa officers are looking for strong ties to your home country, for example ownership of property, steady employment, and family ties.

Under what circumstances, if any, could a Canadian citizen be refused entry to Canada?


I received my educational credentials from well-recognized universities in the US and UK. Do I still need to have them assessed for immigration purposes?

Under the new regulations for the Federal Skilled Worker program, all foreign educational credentials will need to be assessed by a designated organization to determine equivalency in Canada.

I was temporarily detained following a democratic protest. Will this result in a criminal inadmissibility issue for me?

Maybe. Depending on the specifics of the circumstances of detention, and whether there is an equivalent offence in Canada, you may be considered inadmissible. In any event, your detention should be declared to Canadian immigration authorities.

If you would like your general immigration question to be featured in our newsletter, please email your question to QNA@CICNEWS.COM

If you would like to be assessed for Canadian immigration, please complete a free Canadian immigration assessment form.