CIC News > Latest News > Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers for July 2013

Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers for July 2013

Font Style

Font Size

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. Here are this month’s questions and answers:

Under what circumstances can a Temporary Work Permit application be expedited? 

There are no formal provisions for expedited processing of Temporary Work Permits. A request can be made to the Visa Office to expedite processing, and if the Visa Office finds that the reasons for the request are compelling then they have the ability to expedite the processing.

I read that for my immigration application, I must provide work reference letters for the past ten years. Does this mean I have to ask my current employer to provide a letter? I am nervous it would put me in an awkward situation professionally. 

Yes, the Government requires reference letters from every job during the past ten years to confirm that it was paid employment, and to determine which occupation the job can be classified as. When reference letters are not available or not provided, alternate documentation can be submitted (e.g. appointment letters, evaluation reports, pay slips, etc.). However, it is purely up to the discretion of the Visa Officer to accept such alternate types of documents. Any job for which acceptable documentation is not provided is usually ignored in the Visa Officer’s evaluation. This can sometimes result in a refusal of the application.

I want to retire in Canada. Is there a special program for retirees? 

There are no programs targeted specifically at individuals who want to retire in Canada. Canada offers three types of immigration streams, namely economic immigration, family sponsorship and humanitarian (refugee) programs. The only non-economic immigration option for individuals who want to retire in Canada is to be sponsored by an eligible family member who is a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.

My spouse and I want to apply for immigration to Canada. Based on our assessments, we are both eligible to apply to our chosen program. How should we decide who will be the principle applicant? 

There are several factors that must be evaluated to choose who should be the principal applicant. Apart from choosing the strongest profile in terms of the program’s selection factors, one must also consider the availability and strength of the documentation relating to education and work experience. It is also possible to submit two applications to maximize the chances of success, however this would double the costs of applying for immigration.

If you would like your general immigration question to be featured in our newsletter, please email your question to QNA@CICNEWS.COM

If you would like to be assessed for Canadian immigration, please complete a free Canadian immigration assessment form.



15 thoughts on “Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers for July 2013

  1. Aribond

    Hi. My wife is working as a caregiver. Her employer did not declare her income tax for 3 weeks. Would it affect to issuance of CSQ. Thanks

  2. Michael


    I’m planning to start my immigration application to Canada next month. I have worked in KSA 2003 – 2005 but the company that i have worked for can’t provide a work certificate. I am currently working in a company since 2006 and willing to provide a work certificate. the question now is can still submit my application without the work certificate from 2003-2005?

  3. Meghan

    My bf who is an Italian citizen is trying to relocate to Canada. He applied for the IEC letter but they messaged back saying due to the high volume all the spots have been filled. How else can he get a work visa here? I know you have to have a job offer before applying for a work visa but where can we look for those employers that have the ability to hire from outside of Canada? Also I work as a Realtor so my income fluctuates can I still sponsor him? We have been in a relationship for 14 months and common law for 10 months. Thank you.

  4. shiela

    Is it necessary to submit reference letters from present employment even if its unrelated to the job offer as cg in canada? Tnx

  5. Rica

    Hi sir/madam,
    I am single, working under the Live In Caregiver Program for 4months now. I just want to ask how can I get my son here in Canada? Is there any possibility that I can get him here at this moment? When I applied here I declared him in my application. Kindly response with my concerns. I just finding a way to get him here with me. Thanks and best regards..


We welcome your feedback

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.